No announcement yet.

Planting Garlic.

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

lol, just the garlic not the pots and only the over wintering garlic forms, with mine I put them in the fridge for about 4 days and then just an hour in the freezer, I heard about it on an old gardeners world where Chris Beardshaw mentioned it to Monty Don.
    PS Could only do 4 days in the fridge becuse the garlic was starting to taint everything else and Rice Krispies with garlic flavoured milk "aint" nice

Comment

I've heard you can do the same thing with Spring flowering bulbs that were suppose to go out in the Autumn.

Comment

got it - will remember the fridge/freezer hint for any overwintering garlic!
        back to the garden - so have their heads peeking out or bury them to twice their depth??
        Iamhanuman

New Boy & Son Blog My Blog about a new gardener's experiences with his son

AND PLEASE CHECK OUT MY DEAR WIFE'S BLOG
        Independent Minds

Comment

I always plant mine between 1 to 4 inches depending on variety, if I left them sticking out the blackbirds, pigeons and chickens would rip them out

Comment

darn those chickens!
            Iamhanuman

Independent Minds

Comment

Originally posted by TEB View Post
              lol, just the garlic not the pots and only the over wintering garlic forms, with mine I put them in the fridge for about 4 days and then just an hour in the freezer, I heard about it on an old gardeners world where Chris Beardshaw mentioned it to Monty Don.
              PS Could only do 4 days in the fridge becuse the garlic was starting to taint everything else and Rice Krispies with garlic flavoured milk "aint" nice
              Thankyou for that, it's going in the fridge now - I have finally found the label and it is Albigensian, so I thingk that's a variety that needs a couple of days in the chiller.

Thanks for the tip.
              Nell

Comment

i'm probably going to be planting Sultop which is for Feb/Mar planting so not sure whether the fridge would help?
                Iamhanuman

Independent Minds

Comment

Spring planting dont need the extra cold

Comment

thanks TEB
                    great advice and a thread worth storing!!
                    Iamhanuman

Independent Minds

Comment

I have a bulb in the kitchen which has sprouted. Maybe I will stick it in the freezer for an hour or so and plant outside?!!?
                      Tx

Comment

It is too late for me to plant garlic now?

Comment

I would say yes but it can depend on the variety and where you live

Comment

Garlic - spring

Hi
                            I have planted garlic over the winter and they seem to be coming up nicely...chuffed as first time I have ever done, what I would like to ask is...is there a 'spring' garlic that can be planted, that does not require the cold to split?

many thanks

Comment

oops...just seen this, would not have started a thread....apologies for repetition

Comment

Yes - "Solent Wight", available from The Garlic Farm on the Isle of Wight, can be planted in March. I have a couple of heads that I'll be planting in about a fortnight's time. You can't really plant any later than that, though, as it still needs coolish weather to encourage it to split.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X