• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks Herbie
    That sounds promising!
    AKA Angie

Comment

I always thought of the UK as having a mild climate compared to upstate New York, however it appears to be difficult to raise aubergines there. They are not so difficult here, as summer temperatures can get really warm, like ninety plus. I can grow fairly good size fruit, but not as large as I would like. This year I plan on growing them in the greenhouse in AutoPots, and I started the seeds a few days ago. My selection this year is Florida high bush. It is supposed produce very large fruit. In any event, it should be interesting.

My blog:
      http://hydroponicworkshop.blogspot.com/
      Last edited by hydrogardener3; 18-02-2009, 02:11 AM. Reason: added blog
      No occupation is so delightful to me as the culture of the earth, no culture comparable to that of the garden. But though an old man, I am but a young gardener. - Thomas Jeffereson

Comment

I understand that although they like it hot they don't like to be dry. I stood mine in large pots on gravel in a big potting tray that I kept watering last time. As I said, I got good crops but the variety was a mistake (for me.)
        Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

I had about 4 medium sized on my one aubergine plant last year, grown outdoors, even though the weather here in Jersey was pretty poor. I shall try a few plants this year - the seeds have just germinated.

Comment

This is only my second year with a greenhouse, and it will be my first attempt at growing eggplant in the greenhouse. I purchased a book titled "The Greenhouse Expert" to use as a guide. I am sure all experienced growers know this, however, I will quote from the book regarding growing eggplant in the greenhouse for those novices like myself:

"Remove the growing point when the plant is about 1 foot high and stake the stem. Once fruit has started to swell the plants should be fed with liquid tomato fertilizer, and the lateral shoots and remaining flowers should be removed when 5 fruits have formed."
            No occupation is so delightful to me as the culture of the earth, no culture comparable to that of the garden. But though an old man, I am but a young gardener. - Thomas Jeffereson

Comment

Originally posted by hydrogardener3
              "Remove the growing point when the plant is about 1 foot high and stake the stem. Once fruit has started to swell the plants should be fed with liquid tomato fertilizer, and the lateral shoots and remaining flowers should be removed when 5 fruits have formed."
              Can't say we've ever done this and our aubs have been fine, and when the weather is 'kind' the fruits are good too. Perhaps there's more than one way to do things?
              To see a world in a grain of sand
              And a heaven in a wild flower

Comment

My problem has more been getting them to set fruits in the first place, no probs with flowers but fruits are something else.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X