No announcement yet.

Aubergines not in a greenhouse?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've tried in good summers in Hampshire (about 5 miles as the crow flies from the Solent, guess that's fairly"south") and like many other Vines, got flowers but no fruit. I woldn't bother again unless they were under cover.

Comment

I've always grown mine outdoors as haven't had a greenhouse. Most years get flowers and tiny fruit, but got a couple of decent sized ones three or four years ago. It can be done - even up here in Sheffield! I never have them in huge pots; sheltered spot, and more or less leave them to it. Good luck!
      I don't roll on Shabbos

Comment

Last year I got 4 miserable little fruits from 3 plants in the conservatory. I said I wasn't going to bother with aubergines any more. But I am . I'll give it one last go this year.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

Originally posted by smallblueplanet View Post

@Flum the long thin ones taste as good don't you think? Thai long green are very nice and prolific if you like a milder aubgerine. Ping tung long are great too, good taste and prolific. However I sense you're a traditionalist with your aub shape?
          Not particularly different in flavour - but I wanted to cut them in slices for a moussaka - I might as well have tried slicing a pencil!
          Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Originally posted by Flummery
            Not particularly different in flavour - but I wanted to cut them in slices for a moussaka - I might as well have tried slicing a pencil!
            Lol! They'd have made a fun moussaka for sure!
            To see a world in a grain of sand
            And a heaven in a wild flower

Comment

Tried again last year but only got one aubergine from eight plants, all under glass but probably didn't give them enough room. Will try again this year.

Ian

Comment

HI All

I have grown aubergines for the past three years (not from seed though, although planning to this year). Twice i've had dwarf ones in baskets. One of the baskets i got a as a present and it had aubergine, chilli and toms in. The second i had just aubergine. Both grew really well and had lots of baby aubergines. However last year i had a normal size one in a container and only had three aubergines.

My plan this year is to have baskets again. I'm in the process of working out which variety of seeds to buy - any suggestions greatfully received. I need to get cracking though cos i want to plant them as soon as my toms, peppers or sprong onions have germinated, hopefully soon!!

Claire

Comment

Aubergine Ophelia F1 has baby fruit, so I'm assuming it's dwarf. I'm trying it for the first time this year.
                  AKA Angie

Comment

Much farther south here!!

I had a few plants last year but they were all killed off by a late frost. their replacements were quite late - but I did get a few fruit before the season ended. The plants in the greenhouse did nothing though....too hot I think.

Edit - Thinking about it, it wasn't an early frost - it was an early heatwave (sorry!) while I was in Spain for a week and they all dried out and keeled over - peppers too
                    Last edited by tootles; 17-02-2009, 07:27 PM.
                    Tx

Comment

hi self raising

ophelia F1 was one that i was looking at along with calliope F1. I liked the look of this one cos it's purple and creaam streaks. I also assumed that they are dwarf and bushy due to the size of the fruit

Claire

Comment

If you go for ophelia, we'll compare notes later. Or go for both! I've seen calliope, attractive looking fruit
                        AKA Angie

Comment

Hi Tootles
                          Just out of interest, do they need a lot of feeding?
                          AKA Angie

Comment

ok decision made. I'm going for both, will let you know how i get on! I jsut fed them with my tom feed when i fed the tomatoes, not sure if this was the riight thing to do but seemed ok
                            Last edited by spennysaint; 17-02-2009, 07:38 PM.

Comment

Thanks guys.

I have some seeds for Mixed Aubergines from Mr Fothergills, so I think I will give them a try. My husband put a bench in our shed so that i can put plants next to the window but it is not quite a greenhouse. It probably is one or two degrees warmer in there than outside though. Think I may keep them in there and move them outside during the day in summer - maybe it would just be easier to get a plastic greenhouse!

Comment

Originally posted by selfraising View Post
                                If you go for ophelia, we'll compare notes later. Or go for both! I've seen calliope, attractive looking fruit
                                I grew ophelia last year, started on the patio with one plant. I grew really well with lots of flowers. I moved it ,late in the summer into the greenhouse and ended up with 8 mini aubergines. I think it did better in the greenhouse because of humidity, I sprayed down the staging and slabs. Would definetly grow this variety again but would keep in the greenhouse.
                                http://herbie-veggiepatch.blogspot.com

Updated 23rd February 2009

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X