pickled gherkins

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GardeningMike View Post
    Highly recommended. Will use this variety each year if seed available.
    Bought some in Lidl today for either 47p or 49p.
    Hi. Hi. We've removed your signature. If you have any issues with this, please contact one of the Moderators.

Comment

Am trying the Restina variety also this year. Lidl's near me still has loads left if anyone wants me to get any?

Comment

Bumping this thread to ask a question. Has anyone ever grown Fin de Meaux gherkins?
        I have grown them this year but lost the rascally packet, so now dont know what to do. They have flowers on and have started to produce fruit, which is great.
        Any info on how long the fruit should get, future care, whether I need to support or leave to do their own thing etc etc happily received.
        Bob Leponge
        Life's disappointments are so much harder to take if you don't know any swear words.

Comment

I just bought the Delikate and Restina seeds yesterday in LIDL. I realise I'm too late for this year. Have already got some Konsa (from last years leftover seed) planted out.

After reading this thread, I'm tempted to plant just a couple of seeds to see how they do, or do you think that would be a complete waste of seed and time.

Comment

Originally posted by tizzycat View Post
            I just bought the Delikate and Restina seeds yesterday in LIDL. I realise I'm too late for this year. Have already got some Konsa (from last years leftover seed) planted out.

After reading this thread, I'm tempted to plant just a couple of seeds to see how they do, or do you think that would be a complete waste of seed and time.
            I've just sown some gherkin seeds - they germinate quickly in this weather and I expect them to crop from late July to August - definitely not too late to sow some now
            Artificial Intelligence usually beats real stupidity

Comment

Originally posted by bobleponge View Post
              Bumping this thread to ask a question. Has anyone ever grown Fin de Meaux gherkins?
              I have grown them this year but lost the rascally packet, so now dont know what to do. They have flowers on and have started to produce fruit, which is great.
              Any info on how long the fruit should get, future care, whether I need to support or leave to do their own thing etc etc happily received.
              hi Bob,
              I haven't grown them myself although they are my favourites, but I found this info for you:

Species: Pickling Cucumber
              Latin name: Cucumis sativus L.
              Inscription in the European catalog under: Fin de Meaux
              Other usual name: in. Pickels - of. Essiggurken - Salzgurken - Gewürzgurken
              Variety: Fine of Meaux
              Family: Cucurbitaceous
              Origin: Asia, India

The Pickling Cucumber Fine of Meaux: Variety vigorous, productive, climbing and crawling, with small fruits clear green, end are round, short, cylindrical and very tasty. Harvest fruits as needed, and don't wait their full maturity, to be put in vinegar for better conservation.

Seed sowing: February to June
              Harvest Pickling Cucumbers: July to September
              Height: The Pickels reach on average 1.50 m
              Exposure: Sunny

Sowing instructions: Seed sowing under greenhouse from February to June, for an early harvest in June. Sowing in the open ground from May to June, put 2 to 3 seeds in each hole, cucumbers prefer a loose sandy soil , space them 30 to 40cm between holes and 1 meter between lines. Let 4 leaves then cut plants after the second leaf, then let 5 to 6 leaves grow and cut after the fourth leaf it. Is necessary to keep them in a hot place, and a good sunny exposure against a fence, or trellis.

Sowing distance: 80 x 100 cm
              Minimum seed sowing temperature: 15 °C to 20°C
              Seed germination: 7 to 10 days
              Nutritional value: 11 Kcal for 100 gr.

Comment

Originally posted by lynda66 View Post
                thanks bob an LD is all excited now ...... may have to find a good piccalilli recipe too yummyyyyyyyyyyy ...... i've never pickled anything before, is it easy??

I've got a good picallilli recipe but you do have to make it outdoors, it attacks conctrete when fresh, thins the glass of the jars enough to make them unuseable for more than two batches and last time I took some to a local pubs Christmas Pickle competition some wag amongst the judges pinned a "Treat as hazardous waste" sign to it along with its first place ion the "Hot pickle" category

chrisc

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X