No announcement yet.

pickled gherkins

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have grown Restina pickling cucumbers (gherkins) for 2 years now. Bought seed at Lidl Supermarket in 2007. Very cheap for F1 hybrid seed (less than 50p!). Used same packet for 2007 and 2008 plants - excellent germination (100%). Vigourous & hardy plants, sown indoors on a sunny south facing windowsill at beginning of April in J.I. no. 1 seed compost in fibre pots in an unheated plastic seed propagator. Planted out beginning May in 20 litre plastic pots with pot saucers (2 plants/pot) into J.I. no. 2 potting compost which had around 70 grams of bonemeal added per pot. Protected by plastic bell cloches at night till June. From first flowering fed with Tomorite (half-strength) - never let go dry in saucers. Yield was 3.5 to 4.5 Kg of fruit per plant or up to 60 fruit/plant. We didn't pickle them but used them as sliced cucumber in salads - tastier and more crisp and succulent than anything I've bought in the shops. Highly recommended. Will use this variety each year if seed available.

Comment

I love pickled Gherkins but I am the only one who does. Are they like cucumbers, do I need to cross pollinate male and female flowers? Would I need to grow a few plants to be sure of pollination taking place? Or as no one else will eat them but me could I just grow 2 plants, which by the sound of it would be enough to keep me in Gherkins for the year?

Comment

Hi Jillyreeves. Gherkins are just cucumbers that have been bred and selected for short fruit. Botanically they are the same plant species, known botanically as Cucumis sativus. If you leave the fruit on the plant they will stay short, if they are a true gherkin, but will just turn yellow as they age, by which time they will lose their succulence and freshness. Buy an F1 hybrid because then you don't have to bother about male & female flowers & pollination. These hybrids usually just produce mainly female flowers which don't need pollinating to develop fruit. If you grow your plants well two plants should be enough fruit (up to 7 to 9 Kg total) though that depends obviously on how often and how much you eat!

Comment

see message no. 18 re. RESTINA Cucumbers (bought in 2007, Lidl)
          Have just contacted Lidl enquiring about availability.
          30 seeds per packet for less than 50p - not bad for an F1 hybrid!!

Comment

Originally posted by GardeningMike View Post
            Hi Jillyreeves. Gherkins are just cucumbers that have been bred and selected for short fruit. Botanically they are the same plant species, known botanically as Cucumis sativus. If you leave the fruit on the plant they will stay short, if they are a true gherkin, but will just turn yellow as they age, by which time they will lose their succulence and freshness. Buy an F1 hybrid because then you don't have to bother about male & female flowers & pollination. These hybrids usually just produce mainly female flowers which don't need pollinating to develop fruit. If you grow your plants well two plants should be enough fruit (up to 7 to 9 Kg total) though that depends obviously on how often and how much you eat!
            Thank you GardeningMike

Comment

I thought gherkins were traditionally pickled with dill. You might want to get a few dill plant going as well!

Comment

Branston pickle(home made) needs 15 gherkins.Got to try and find a lidls myself now

Comment

Jilly. I'm going to Lidl tomorrow. If they have any gherkin seeds would you like me to get you some?
                  Do it! Life's too short

http://for-you-dad.blogspot.com/

Comment

Lidl RESTINA gherkin/cucumber seed

SallyM - do let me know if you have any luck getting RESTINA from Lidl.
                    Many thanks

Comment

Sally!! thank you .Yes please,will send price in stamps for you or if you pm me for a seed swap?.So grateful

Comment

Originally posted by sallym View Post
                        Jilly. I'm going to Lidl tomorrow. If they have any gherkin seeds would you like me to get you some?
                        Thats confusing, thought you was asking me for a moment

Comment

If Lidl have any gherkin seeds I will pick up a few packets and put them on seed swap. Watch this space.
                          Do it! Life's too short

Comment

Ok. Got 2 packets each of "Sativus" and "Restina" Gherkin seeds. Approx. 60 seeds in first, and 30 in second. I am happy to split into packs of 10 (or smaller) for anyone who wants some. Both say " gives secure and high yields even in rough habitats", but Restina also says " The most robust and earliest outdoor cucumber". Not sure if this means Sativus best under cover, but will personally try a few of both.
                            Anyone who wants some please pm me with which you would like and I will let you know my address for SAE.
                            Do it! Life's too short

Comment

Originally posted by sallym View Post
                              Anyone who wants some please pm me with which you would like and I will let you know my address for SAE.
                              That's really kind sallym - really appreciated - I just found that from my 2007 RESTINA packet that I still have 18 seeds left from the original 30. The packet says sow before 12/2009 so, for now, I'm going to take the chance that they will be okay. What town is your Lidl in - our Lidl doesn't have Restina - they seem to have different looking seed packets generally this year.

Comment

Our Lidl is in a village called Hawkinge, a couple of miles from Dover. We also have one in Folkestone around 7 miles away. Spoilt I know.
                                Do it! Life's too short

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X