X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

apologies
    will go and pick on someone else for a bit
    thanks again
    'Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too? ' Douglas Adams

http://weirdimals.wordpress.com/

Comment

Lol

No worries. If you do a study, then blog it somewhere for us all to see it, won't you!

Now, where was I - oh yes - pricking out onions on a non-root day!
      Last edited by zazen999; 25-01-2009, 06:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by zazen999 View Post
        Lol

No worries. If you do a study, then blog it somewhere for us all to see it, won't you!

Now, where was I - oh yes - pricking out onions on a non-root day!
        BAD GIRL i had to do mine too
        Vive Le Revolution!!!
        'Lets just stick it in, and see what happens?'
        Cigarette FREE since 07-01-09

Comment

I for one do not think bride has all the answers, but she does have the book, and pretty pictures
          Which means I can park brain and get Aunty bride to tell me when to plant me Rocket!
          WPC F Hobbit, Shire police

Comment

Originally posted by muslimgrower View Post
            nothing...

the mayan calender ends on that date.

there could be a serious polar shift

i was reading a scientist point of view on December 2012 and he was saying something about a serious "sun storm" heading to earth which will knock out the satellites..

but polar shifts have happened before through history and they are devastating to all life.
            I wonder if the article you read was talking about polar shifts or magnetic shifts, which are more frequent. Mag shifts are when the field of the earth's magnetosphere reverses from north to south. This is more usual at the high point of the solar cycle or Maunder maximum, which has a frequency of approx 11.5 years. (We are just coming out of the solar minimum). As to the question of a solar CME (Corona Mass Ejection) or "sun storm", there is no way to predict when these will happen or even if the ejection is aimed at the earth. It's like someone trying to predict what my thoughts will be in three years time. CME's are random events for all intents and purposes and cannot be predicted so far in advance. This is a bit like the great panic that was generated some years ago when there was a major planetary alignment, the world was supposed to be ending then, but we are still here. And what about the scare in 1999 when all the computers were supposed to fail on the stroke of midnight on the 31st December. I fear that this is another of these nameless fears like the majority of urban myths that we have heard about for years.

By the way this is not Maureen but an astronomer friend of hers
            My girls found their way into my heart and now they nest there

Comment

Please miss, it wasn't me ............................... honest!!

Comment

Originally posted by MaureenHall View Post
                Please miss, it wasn't me ............................... honest!!
                Hello maureens friend

i was watching some you tube videos .. so many out there

YouTube - 2012: The Polar Shift Explained

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=2ahoPG...eature=related
                Last edited by muslimgrower; 26-01-2009, 02:24 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jimbojetset View Post
                  1.maytreefannie i do indeed hope that bride is correct

2. .....think gandhi, think darwin, think wilberforce, think einstein, archimedes ... .....

3. .....i'm not trying to say that [the patronisingly monickered] ancient people's beliefs aren't valid,

1.Me too, I'm following Bride's moon planting thread.

2. Think Bride...

3. I understand and agree with you that questioning and the whole 'open mind' approach is important - I think it's interesting that there is a tradition of planting early potatoes on Good Friday - according to my Moon Planting book, root days run up to 10 p.m. on the night before Good Friday - which means the tradition is running pretty close to the Moon Planting guide - that would imply to me that in older times, before we called it Good Friday, the days leading up to and including the first Full Moon after the Spring Equinox were found to be good root days; remember the exact times/days would vary with other aspects - perhaps using Good Friday became a good rule of thumb or general root guideline.

Not sure if the above makes sense - I think it does to me - but here's to good results (however we do it) for all of us for the coming season.
                  Last edited by maytreefrannie; 26-01-2009, 10:11 AM.
                  My hopes are not always realized but I always hope (Ovid)

www.fransverse.blogspot.com

www.franscription.blogspot.com

Comment

if moon planting gives alot better results, then why doesnt everyone use it and know about it, ive asked someone who proffesionly grows heritage vegetables and my head of biology teacher and niether had a clue what it was.
                    Religions die when they are proved to be true. Science is the record of dead religions.

Comment

Originally posted by cwipnip View Post
                      if moon planting gives alot better results, then why doesnt everyone use it and know about it, ive asked someone who proffesionly grows heritage vegetables and my head of biology teacher and niether had a clue what it was.
                      probably because it wasn't always called that, 'moon planting' is a relatively new agey term, for an old way of doing things.

although i have to say a professional grower who has never heard of it is behind on their research , i would not expect a biology teacher to be up on it though.

lots of us planted onions and garlic on the shortest day, some of us planted them at halloween, these are called by many 'old wives tales' but....thats why they are called that, they are knowledge passed down over generations, the reasons why may have been lost over time, but the results still hold true.

what i would suggest, if anyone is interested, is to try and get hold of / research on the net, old copies of almanacks ( even new ones, they still do them), there is lots of planting times, tide info all sorts of interesting guff in them, some useful some not, but all of it came from somewhere for some reason.
                      Vive Le Revolution!!!

Comment

I have noticed something with my Garlic shoots.

I have a lot outside, but ran out of space and planted 8 individually in large pots and put them inside the Greenhouse. The ones outside have been beaten around a bit. However the ones inside have very straight shoots, which are sturdy and now quite long.

When I went down, just after the last full moon, there was a noticable surge in growth, but little change since.

Therefore I have "borrowed" a ruler from work and am in the process of doing a scientific experiment over the coming months to see whether there is any difference in growth and try and match it to the moon cycle.

Watch this space for the results
                        Last edited by Banana; 26-01-2009, 06:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Banana View Post
                          I have noticed something with my Garlic shoots.

I have a lot outside, but ran out of space and planted 8 individually in large pots and put them inside the Greenhouse. The ones outside have been beaten around a bit. However the ones inside have very straight shoots, which are sturdy and now quite long.

When I went down, just after the last full moon, there was a noticable surge in growth, but little change since.

Therefore I have "borrowed" a ruler from work and am in the process of doing a scientific experiment over the coming months to see whether there is any difference in growth and try and match it to the moon cycle.

Watch this space for the results
                          interesting, keep us up to date, either here, or on the social group, which on reflection will be easier to find once this post drops off the board
                          Vive Le Revolution!!!

Comment

I remember trying moon planting in 2004 (just planting on moon dates), but don't recall if it made an overwhelming difference. The one thing I did like about it - you could write a to-do-list for what to do on a certain day (instead of I'll do it tomorrow!).

I doubt if weeds get sown by the moon.

I've just checked my diary - lots of things sown on the appropriate lunar days did not do well at all - celeriac (not had success at all), some cabbages, cauliflowers- high failure rate.
                            Last edited by multiveg; 26-01-2009, 06:47 PM. Reason: Wrong year! + additional info
                            My Blog - http://multiveg.wordpress.com/
                            Photo Album - http://www.flickr.com/photos/99039017@N00/

Comment

Originally posted by multiveg View Post
                              I remember trying moon planting in 2005 (just planting on moon dates), but don't recall if it made an overwhelming difference. The one thing I did like about it - you could write a to-do-list for what to do on a certain day (instead of I'll do it tomorrow!).

I doubt if weeds get sown by the moon.
                              ah hah! but don't they?

whats to say, cos lets face it we just dig em up, that they dont shed there seed in tune with the moon? is there a study out there, has anyone looked into seed shedding times for their flowers? might be something else the group can look at ?
                              Vive Le Revolution!!!

Comment

Flippin' eck More "stuff to do". I'm talking to my seedlings and telling them how lovely they are, don't think I'll do the reading up stuff though, I'm in a lazy-stage just now (must be something to do with the moon Oooooooooooooooooo does that make me a lunatic?)

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X