No announcement yet.

What broad beans do you grow?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I also took part in the Which un-named dwarf broad beans and thought that they were a waste of space for normal growing. I think that they must have been developed for growing in containers. A very poor crop.
    I grew them in the same bed as Witkiem Manita and red flowered broad beans which were vastly superior in crop and taste.
    Any broadbean pod can be eaten whole while they are still young. I eat them this way for my first taste of broadbeans.

Comment

Sorry real food - I did say it was the first time I'd grown them so I had nothing to compare with for crop size. I just felt I got lot of beans for a small space - more per space than the Aguadulce. I'll obviously have to widen my horizons.

Comment

I put my Aquadulce Claudia in earlier this month and will sow The Sutton in spring. I get good results from these so tend to stick to them but, Snadger, I'm very tempted by the sound of the red flowered beans so might well have a go at them. Thanks for the tip.

Comment

I've only grown one type of broad beans and they were the Crimson Flowered ones which I got from Muckdiva on a seed swap. I've saved lots of seed so we'll be growing those again this year. Not a sign of blackfly on any of them.

Comment

Originally posted by sewer rat View Post
            I sow Witkiem Manita in the spring and it crops exceptionally well - in fact it double cropped this year as I didn't make time to clear the (what I thought were dead) stems after picking the last of the crop, and about Sptember, the starting producing new shoots flowers and beans from the base of the plants - not a very heavy second crop but welcome just the same.
            I grow this one and witkem vroma, both aretop drawer

Comment

Originally posted by smallblueplanet View Post
              That's another type that gets good reviews, what does it taste like SR? Anyone else grow it?
              I grew some last year after Rat and Piglet recommended it. A nice white bean, prolific.

not sure if it's a tall one ... I've never got any broady taller than 3 foot because of the winds round here.
              Last edited by Two_Sheds; 01-01-2009, 10:31 AM.
              All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by Sunset View Post
                Sowed my beans under cover in early March and planted out late April but despite good plants and flowers the early flowers didn't set.
                Broad beans don't need pollinators, but you'll get a better crop with them. Try having some flowers around at pollination time to get the bees in (dandelions are good food for bees early in the year, when not much else is in flower)
                Last edited by Two_Sheds; 01-01-2009, 07:43 PM.
                All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

What broad beans do you grow.

I am a BB virgin so I bought Aquadulce. I put a row in, in early December - or was it October? Anywayup, they are in and covered for protection. I'll see how they go.
                  Annie
                  There's pleasure sure in being mad that only madmen know - Anon

Comment

Thanks Two Sheds, I'll give that a go. Have noticed a lot fewer insects around generally, not even many wasps last year! Presume the last two monsoon summers haven't been helpful.

Much to OH's disgust (he's not too keen on broad beans) have now been on line and ordered more broady seeds so I can try the witkiem ones that everyone thinks are great.

Comment

Just a query, Flum has very kindly given me some seeds which I want to plant up save more seed from later this year (was going to say next year, then remembered!). Not saved broad bean seeds before but know they can cross pollinate. How far apart do I need to keep them to be sure I'm OK. Can easily grow one type at home and one on the plot but am concerned about what the neighbours are growing too!

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

i grew 3 different types next to each other last year witkiem whatever, masterpiece longpod and aquadulce, all 3 types were fine. some were green others white, couldn't remember which was which but i prefered the green ones.
                        sunset, broad beans grown at home and harvested young are so much better than shop bought ones, you never know, your oh might enjoy them young before the outer shell of the bean gets tough.

Comment

Can't remember what i planted in October, think they were Aquadulce i refer to them as 'food for critters', as everytime i replant them something else eats them!! Now growing in the greenhouse, haven't grown any before so sorry can't help re alternatives and at this rate don't think i am going to get any to eat, anytime soon!!
                          When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant. ~Author Unknown

Comment

Originally posted by kate&rob View Post
                            i grew 3 different types next to each other last year witkiem whatever, masterpiece longpod and aquadulce, all 3 types were fine. some were green others white, couldn't remember which was which but i prefered the green ones.
                            sunset, broad beans grown at home and harvested young are so much better than shop bought ones, you never know, your oh might enjoy them young before the outer shell of the bean gets tough.
                            Thanks but I've obviously not made myself clear. I know they're fine to grow but I want to collect the seeds for planting next year and I know that they can cross pollinate so was wondering how much separation I needed to ensure that didn't happen.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Comment

Hi Alison. My seed saving book recommends not growing another variety within 9 metres. If you can manage that you should be fine. If not - they reckon that you should sow in a block and save seeds from the ones in the centre. The theory is that pollen from other beans will have been wiped off/replaced by pollen from that variety by the time the bees get to the middle! Good luck with them.
                              Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Thanks Flum - yes can manage that without problems, am hoping to grow the ones you kindly gave me this year predominantly for seed so that I can grow more the year after - mind you, will have to try them too to check that I like them!

Another quick question, which seed saving book do you have? Am thinking of getting one with some Christmas money but not looked into it yet so any advice welcome.
                                Last edited by Alison; 02-01-2009, 05:37 PM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X