This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Nicos View Post
    Not bought my Charlottes yet!…I need to shake a leg!
    Get some Nicola they're just as nice!
    To see a world in a grain of sand
    And a heaven in a wild flower

Comment

Does anyone else save their own seed potatoes? I started saving mine in 2020 during lockdown and although I was dubious at first, I haven't had any problems. The Lady C that I am currently chitting are direct descendants of seed potatoes bought in 2019 and last year's crop was a record for that variety. In contrast I decided to buy new Desiree 2 years ago but found that it made little difference to the yield.
      A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

^Charles Dowding saves his own potatoes and swears by it.

I wish I'd save some Dunluce first earlies. Impossible to get hold of in recent years, but they were amazing here. Better than any other first earlies I've tried since.

Comment

Thanks Ameno - we've only got 7 to plant so I'm up for giving them a try. We're prepared now for not being keen & will have our tried & tested varieties for the bulk of the bed.

Thanks Snoop Puss - we plan to measure up the beds at the weekend (fingers crossed for the weather) so that we can work out exactly how many we have room for. If there's space then the Pent. Javs. might get a reprieve

Penellype we've not tried saving our own yet but my understanding is that repeatedly saving is thought to increases risk of disease but I wonder who first decided that (a seed spud seller maybe, or is that too cynical). One of the longstanding plotters on our site saves his own every year with no signs of any problems (like over 10 years or probably more). Another plotter saves for one or two years then buys new the following year to be on the safe-side & he's had no issues either. I guess a good rule-of-thumb/common sense approach would be to make sure you save from your best, healthy disease-free harvest & not risk saving from anything that didn't perform well, got blighted etc. With the cost of seed spuds it's got to be worth thinking about at least saving on alternate years. I wonder if we could also effectively be breeding our own super-spud for our specific conditions (a bit like other saved seed - beans, garlic etc. - evolving itself to suit)?

Comment

Penellype I’ve saved a few English spuds over the years like King Edwards which I can’t find over here but I have to be really careful how I store them as they seem to be rat magnets
            "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

I'm hoping to use my own saved nicola and anya as seeds for the first time this year.
              Nestled somewhere in the Cambridgeshire Fens. Good soil, strong winds and 4 Giant Puffballs! https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...lies/smile.gif
              Always aim for the best result possible not the best possible result
              https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...ilies/wink.gif
              Forever indebted to Potstubsdustbins https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...lies/smile.gif

Comment

Originally posted by Andraste View Post
                Our plans have 'evolved' slightly in response to OH being left to shop alone & nick the grief filling my head with dreams of Pembs earlies lol. Fortunately we've re-jigged the bed extension plans again so have a little more room :cool .....
                You're welcome Kestrel are OK they are very popular with people who show potatoes as they look amazing when they are polised up.

ntg
                ntg
                Never be afraid to try something new.
                Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
                A large group of professionals built the Titanic
                ==================================================

Comment

Originally posted by peanut View Post
                  I'm hoping to use my own saved nicola and anya as seeds for the first time this year.
                  Anya are virtually unobtainable as far as I can see. I've tried for about 3 years now and they've always been crop failed ... But surprisingly Albert Bartlett ( who own the breeders rights to Anya) seem to be able to supply Sainsbury's

ntg
                  Last edited by nick the grief; 23-02-2024, 10:34 AM.
                  ntg

Comment

Originally posted by nick the grief View Post

Anya are virtually unobtainable as far as I can see. I've tried for about 3 years now and they've always been crop failed ... But surprisingly Albert Bartlett ( who own the breeders rights to Anya) seem to be able to supply Sainsbury's

ntg
                    They are available onEbay Nick, I can't vouch for the seller though. Ebay link shortened as it went on forever!

http://tinyurl.com/3r3nnsk2
                    Nestled somewhere in the Cambridgeshire Fens. Good soil, strong winds and 4 Giant Puffballs! https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...lies/smile.gif
                    Always aim for the best result possible not the best possible result
                    https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...ilies/wink.gif
                    Forever indebted to Potstubsdustbins https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...lies/smile.gif

Comment

Originally posted by peanut View Post

They are available onEbay Nick, I can't vouch for the seller though. Ebay link shortened as it went on forever!

http://tinyurl.com/3r3nnsk2
                      I suspect he's been to sainsburys peanut ... I tried to buy some strawberry plants once off fleabay and after 2 month I reported it to ebay and got my money back with no word from the seller ... who are still selling now so I wouldn't bother unless I know who it is. and at £1 a spud I don't think I'll bother
                      ntg

Comment

yippee!…I finally bought my Charlotte seed potatoes
                        "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Bought some seed potatoes the other day, I went for Rocket and Caledonian Pearl, had never came across the latter but it felt and looked a good potato, and now going through this thread I see SBP gives a good description of them so will be planting in tubs today
                          it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Member of the Nutters Club but I think I am just there to make up the numbers

Comment

I'm doing the CP too , be interesting to see what they're like.

Mine are still chitting
                            Northern England.

Comment

Bought our Charlottes today

Comment

Trying to decide whether to grow in the big bags or just in pots
                                Northern England.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X