No announcement yet.

New Allotment/greenhouse - winter veg?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Allotment/greenhouse - winter veg?

Hi everyone!

Bit of a long term lurker, but after putting my name down for an allotment earlier this year I've just gotten my plot! I've always been a bit of a fair weather gardener when it comes to veggies as I've never had a greenhouse.

My new plot is 5.5 rods, with a large(ish) greenhouse, several compost heaps, a massive raised square water tank and lots of scaffolding framing left for me to move about as needed. The chap also dug over the entire plot for me before the keys were handed over.

I've got lots of plans! I've installed 2 raised beds so far (these are ready to plant up) and have plans to install a patio and access path as my mum is in a wheelchair, but is keen to visit and sit while I work. My daughter is 3 and is having the best time on the plot so far. She will be getting her own raised bed by spring, complete with fairy garden and a small wildlife pond.

But, more importantly... anything we can grow/plant now? I've got hundreds of packet of seeds as everyone I meet at the allotment so far is very keen to gift me things, a hammer, an old wheelbarrow, several raspberry canes, seeds and an old fork all within my first week!
    I have a rack of shelving for seedlings in my greenhouse I've built, and then the borders are all free for planting. I also have the 2 raised beds outside that are ready to go. My daughter is very keen to get started and informed me this morning that "father Christmas is going to bring strawberries for her allotment 😅"

I can heat the greenhouse if needed. I think. Not sure how, but can buy something, there's no electric of course, but open to suggestions on if it's needed and if so best way to do it.

Thanks 😊

Hello and welcome to the vine Kellymarie and congrats on getting your plot.

I sow lettuce, land cress, spinach, pak choi and spring onions at this time of year in pots then taking them into the greenhouse once the weather gets cold.
    Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Wowee, Kellymarie, you are off to a flying start! Congratulations.

Bren has given you good advice, so I've got nothing to add in that respect. But hello and welcome and best wishes for fun on your plot.

Comment

Originally posted by Bren In Pots View Post
        Hello and welcome to the vine Kellymarie and congrats on getting your plot.

I sow lettuce, land cress, spinach, pak choi and spring onions at this time of year in pots then taking them into the greenhouse once the weather gets cold.
        Thank you, lettuce, spinach and spring onions I have seeds for so shall start some off. Land cress and pan choi I don't think I've eaten! But, I'm keen to get into cooking with more seasonal veg so happy to try it!

Comment

Welcome Kellymarie,

You might also be able to get some radish if you're quick or even some baby carrots if this warm weather carries on, but it depends where you are really, as tropical East Anglia where I live offers very different growing cinditions from the West of Scotland, for example.. You can put your location on your profile.
          Are y'oroight booy?

Comment

Other crops you can sow now are peas for pea shoots, brassica salad leaves (oriental leaves) such as mizuna and mustards, and corn salad (also known as lamb's lettuce). All of these will give you a supply of salad greens during the winter and particularly early spring without the need for heat. The oriental leaves can also be used in stir fries (as can pak choi).
            A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

Welcome to the Vine Kellymarie, as Vincent has said your location would be helpful, remember just the area or county not you address, there's quite a difference in temperatures throughout Britain as an example my central heating in the house has just come on set at 15c, while down south its a bit warmer, but you have had suggestions of what to sow just now, and I could go with most of them, though I would recommend that you look for some vegetable plug plants at a local nursery, also that if you can buy some 30g fleece for covering the plant when temperatures drop, if unaffordable just now look for lace curtains in charity shops, as they will provide protection.
              Heating your greenhouse is a bit different, both gas and paraffin heaters create moisture, plus the danger of fumes, if using any heater you must have ventilation, this includes a Woodburning stove, for giving your plants some frost protection there are small paraffin heaters in the market, or you could try burning a candle below an upturned clay pot, I hope you enjoy your gardening and remember the best thing to cultivate, at any time of the year is patience
              it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Member of the Nutters Club but I think I am just there to make up the numbers

Comment

Originally posted by Vince G View Post
                Welcome Kellymarie,

You might also be able to get some radish if you're quick or even some baby carrots if this warm weather carries on, but it depends where you are really, as tropical East Anglia where I live offers very different growing cinditions from the West of Scotland, for example.. You can put your location on your profile.
                I am in East anglia. Im on the Norfolk/suffolk border. Found some radish reduced in homebase today so have planted them up in one of the outside beds and then covered the bed in netting. It's like a small Fort knox! Will update my profile too. Baby carrots? Greenhouse or outdoors? 😊

Comment

Originally posted by Penellype View Post
                  Other crops you can sow now are peas for pea shoots, brassica salad leaves (oriental leaves) such as mizuna and mustards, and corn salad (also known as lamb's lettuce). All of these will give you a supply of salad greens during the winter and particularly early spring without the need for heat. The oriental leaves can also be used in stir fries (as can pak choi).
                  Thank you! Have potted up some pea seeds and some lettuce. Can only try and see 🤞

Comment

Originally posted by rary View Post
                    Welcome to the Vine Kellymarie, as Vincent has said your location would be helpful, remember just the area or county not you address, there's quite a difference in temperatures throughout Britain as an example my central heating in the house has just come on set at 15c, while down south its a bit warmer, but you have had suggestions of what to sow just now, and I could go with most of them, though I would recommend that you look for some vegetable plug plants at a local nursery, also that if you can buy some 30g fleece for covering the plant when temperatures drop, if unaffordable just now look for lace curtains in charity shops, as they will provide protection.
                    Heating your greenhouse is a bit different, both gas and paraffin heaters create moisture, plus the danger of fumes, if using any heater you must have ventilation, this includes a Woodburning stove, for giving your plants some frost protection there are small paraffin heaters in the market, or you could try burning a candle below an upturned clay pot, I hope you enjoy your gardening and remember the best thing to cultivate, at any time of the year is patience
                    Thank you. I've been so lucky as met a wonderful lady the other day, in the supermarket of all places who when we got chatting gave me her address and said pop round, she has a few bits she's getting rid of due to her giving up her allotment. Not sure what I expected but not 2 full bags of strulch and 2 brand new haxnicks tunnels! Will keep an eye out for some fleece! Unfortunately it's a shame no1 is giving away patience because I'm very excited to start eating some veg!

Comment

Is it too late to put some potatoes in containers in the greenhouse? I've just found some old potatoe growing bags...

Comment

Originally posted by Kellymarie View Post

I am in East anglia. Im on the Norfolk/suffolk border. Found some radish reduced in homebase today so have planted them up in one of the outside beds and then covered the bed in netting. It's like a small Fort knox! Will update my profile too. Baby carrots? Greenhouse or outdoors? 😊
                        Aha, not too far from me then! There don't seem to be that many people on here from our neck of the woods, so nice to have a fellow East Anglian to discuss our dry and tropical conditions with. I sow carrots in March, June and August, but as it's still so warm I'm going to sow some more at the weekend to fill gaps where I've pulled carrots up. They are under enviromesh. Never sowed so late before but as the good people of DT Browns Seeds sent me a free trial packet of carrots, I have loads of spare seed, so it's not a disaster if they come to nothing. They have 2 options don't they! I'm also going to do some radishes, as they'll be ready in 4 weeks or so.

Good luck!
                        Are y'oroight booy?

Comment

Originally posted by Kellymarie View Post
                          Is it too late to put some potatoes in containers in the greenhouse? I've just found some old potatoe growing bags...
                          Kellymarie my favourite saying is, if you don't try, you will never know, get some earlies in now and I think you would have a presentable crop by Christmas l, if no earlies avaliable try any seed potatoes, as long as you keep them frost free you should get a crop, not necessarily at the time you would want them, but fresh picked home grown potatoes are good at any time
                          it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Member of the Nutters Club but I think I am just there to make up the numbers

Comment

Originally posted by Vince G View Post

Aha, not too far from me then! There don't seem to be that many people on here from our neck of the woods, so nice to have a fellow East Anglian to discuss our dry and tropical conditions with. I sow carrots in March, June and August, but as it's still so warm I'm going to sow some more at the weekend to fill gaps where I've pulled carrots up. They are under enviromesh. Never sowed so late before but as the good people of DT Browns Seeds sent me a free trial packet of carrots, I have loads of spare seed, so it's not a disaster if they come to nothing. They have 2 options don't they! I'm also going to do some radishes, as they'll be ready in 4 weeks or so.

Good luck!
                            Yes I've got 2 unused borders in my greenhouse and some free seeds from kitchen garden mag, I've planted early nantes, autumn King and rainbow carrots in my greenhouse. Soon as they sprout (if they do!) I've also planted pak choi and some snowball cauliflowers. At this point I'm just having a go with the spare space I've got, won't be too upset if nothing happens as I shall know not to attempt it again, and nothing like trial and error to become a better gardener!
                            I also found some small potatoes when digging on the allotment so have popped some into containers in the greenhouse, no idea what type they are or whether they'll even grow, but the soil and compost is free and the potatoes were there in abundance so again, nothing lost if nothing happens.

Isn't this weather mad, I could barely stand to be in the greenhouse planting those seeds today. So hot!

Comment

Originally posted by rary View Post

Kellymarie my favourite saying is, if you don't try, you will never know, get some earlies in now and I think you would have a presentable crop by Christmas l, if no earlies avaliable try any seed potatoes, as long as you keep them frost free you should get a crop, not necessarily at the time you would want them, but fresh picked home grown potatoes are good at any time
                              Hunted high and low for seed potatoes but they seem to not be in any of my local garden centres and sold out online. So I kept a few small potatoes I found when digging in the allotment beds and have popped them into a container. No idea whether anything will happen but like you say if you don't try!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X