Courgette flowers but no fruit

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Marb67 View Post
    Well I had one fruit from this plant and non from 6 others. Now it's going even more downhill Fed with tomato feed and previous to that, comfrey
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20230828_133106.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	810.7 KB
ID:	2567739
    It has powdery mildew, which is always a potential problem with courgettes. It appears when the plants dry out or are stressed and I find courgettes in containers always get it earlier than the ones in the ground. Courgette plants have very big leaves which means that they can lose a lot of water very quickly, so if it is warm and breezy (as in the last few days) a plant in a container can dry out even if it is regularly watered.
    A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaand still no fruit weeks on, plant in better health getting fed tomato feed Unbelievable.

Name:	IMG_20230916_104006_edit_1189310923579459.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	1.10 MB
ID:	2568601

Comment

You say it's in better health, but it's pretty stunted. Courgettes are not meant to be that small.

Alternatively, it could just be that you've had bad luck and have grown a blind plant. It happens sometimes, where they either never flower or else only produce male flowers.

Comment

I have been told enough on courgettes so have allowed them to grow and ripen into stripe-less marrows.
          I have two batches of plants one from saved seed of marrows as stated on the packet. The stripes were less prominent than most marrows I know. The saved seed just came up like courgettes and that is what I harvested them as.
          The others were from a packet of seed that said courgettes.
          I had the same with butternuts last year with a packet of melon seeds coming up as butternuts.
          I harvested an 18 inch fruit from one of the saved seed plants today.

Name:	IMG_3995R.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	246.1 KB
ID:	2568622
          Near Worksop on heavy clay soil

Comment

Courgette plants are 4 feet wide and need an equal amount of soil to grow in.
            I once tried pumpkins in car tire pots on a concrete roof and they never produced anything like they do in the ground.
            Vine weevils were the main problem this year. I had to spray a line of ant and crawling insect killer down each side of seedling rows in order to get anything to germinate and grow more than a couple of leaves.
            Near Worksop on heavy clay soil

Comment

Not a great crop of courgettes this year, but not awful either. Just pulled out my plants as they weren’t going to give me any more. No particular issues or diseases and they in a raised bed with plants space.
              Last edited by annie8; 17-09-2023, 07:14 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ameno View Post
                You say it's in better health, but it's pretty stunted. Courgettes are not meant to be that small.

Alternatively, it could just be that you've had bad luck and have grown a blind plant. It happens sometimes, where they either never flower or else only produce male flowers.
                I have had 1 courgette from this plant all season. Ditto for the cucumber that also had copious flowers. I have seen other people grow successful courgette fruits in smaller pots as they fed them well, but of course they always do better in the ground.

Comment

It looks like there’s two courgettes planted in that container,how far apart are each plant? They might be planted too close together & could be why they’re both not thriving.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X