No announcement yet.

Courgette flowers but no fruit

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And still out of 6 plants not a single fruit (ditto for cucumbers if you see my other post) despite taking advice here and removing the female flower heads.

Should I dig them up and transplant them onto the big plot I now have use of ?

Comment

Originally posted by Marb67 View Post
      And still out of 6 plants not a single fruit (ditto for cucumbers if you see my other post) despite taking advice here and removing the female flower heads.

I presume you mean you are removing male flowers? The female flowers grow the fruit. (Male flowers are the ones with short stems; female flowers are the ones with longer stems and a zucchini fruit shape at their base.)

I've never transplanted large courgette plants, but you could try one and see how well it survives. Cut excess leaves off to help it recover else it might transpire too much for its roots to cope with.

Understanding male and female courgette flowers - clink for web page info.
      Last edited by smallblueplanet; 04-08-2023, 12:49 PM.
      To see a world in a grain of sand
      And a heaven in a wild flower

Comment

Originally posted by Marb67 View Post

Are you getting female flowers, or is it still male only?
        Because you need both to get fruit. Removing even just the male flowers won't encourage the production of female flowers, much less fruit. The male flowers are necessary to fertilise the female flowers.

Removing male flowers is advice for cucumbers, not courgettes, as most modern cucumber varieties (although not the Marketmore you are growing) will set fruit without pollination, so male flowers are not necessary and will often make the fruits bitter if allowed to pollinate them. Even then, removing male flowers will not encourage female flower production. Male flowers are biologically very cheap to make, so it doesn't really tax the plant any no matter how many there are.

Comment

Have a look at this….

”Fertilizing your squash plants is key to ensuring they grow strong and vibrant. But too much fertilizer can lead to a decrease in female zucchini blooms, as an overabundance of nitrogen in the soil can cause only male flowers to appear. Even though the foliage will look lush and dark green, the female flowers won’t show up.”

from this site…

https://a-z-animals.com/blog/male-vs...e-differences/

Is it possible that this could contribute to the lack of female flowers?
          "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

If you are going to move them then I would suggest taking a massive rootball with each plant so the roots don’t get disturbed , plant them at least a metre apart, preferably in the evening so they don’t have the extra shock of coping with the afternoon heat. And of course water the ground well before planting out

Comment

Originally posted by Nicos View Post
              If you are going to move them then I would suggest taking a massive rootball with each plant so the roots don’t get disturbed , plant them at least a metre apart, preferably in the evening so they don’t have the extra shock of coping with the afternoon heat. And of course water the ground well before planting out
              Afternoon heat ? It's freezing here. No access to water either at the plot.

To be fair I was told to remove the male flowers here which I did.

Originally posted by Nicos View Post
              Whip off all those male flowers bar one and eat them in a tempura batter.
              Male flowers generally come before the females.Hang on in there marb.
              Last edited by Marb67; 05-08-2023, 12:31 PM.

Comment

Ah, I think he meant to just remove all of the ones that were there at the time you first posted this topic. Not because that would actually help anything, but just because they are edible so you may as well put them to use, seeing as you had no female flowers at the time and thus they were no use for pollinating anything (male flowers only last for 1 day).

Comment

Meanwhile not a single courgette from 6 plants and one pathetic cucumber from 3 plants, one with yellowing leaves.

Comment

I planted five courgette plants a few weeks ago (when will I learn?), came back from a week away a couple of days ago and marrows galore. 😲I don’t feed them. They were planted in the site of a line of trees which were dug up and I assume it is very fertile ground. I have put my foot there for comparison.

Comment

Originally posted by Holly Daze View Post
                      I planted five courgette plants a few weeks ago (when will I learn?), came back from a week away a couple of days ago and marrows galore. 😲I don’t feed them. They were planted in the site of a line of trees which were dug up and I assume it is very fertile ground. I have put my foot there for comparison.
                      You could make a few veg lasagne's and currys out of those

Comment

Now that’s something I had not thought of. Cheers.

Comment

Those courgettes are huge Holly

Here’s a link to the courgette recipes, lots to choose from.

https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...ecipes-updated
                          Last edited by Bren In Pots; 13-08-2023, 02:22 PM.
                          Location....East Midlands.

Comment

I had at least that many a couple of days ago…and have the same again…thankfully there aren’t many more female flowers so maybe that’s the end of my glut?
                            I also grated a pile of them into 500g bags ,having squoze out most of the juices first. Then froze them for later in the year.

I now tend to only grow yellow courgette because at that size the skins are still tender and edible.
                            Last edited by Nicos; 13-08-2023, 03:53 PM.

Comment

We don't grow the 'ordinary green' courgettes they're pretty dull. We only grow either courgette Lungo fiorentino or courgette bianca di trieste. Both really nice flavour, not at all watery and good stuffed when they get huge! Courgette striato d'italia are tasty too.
                              C12 - 'Long of Florence'. This courgette is a long, light green variety with light ribs along it's length.  Growing habit: Bush  Approximate seeds quantity:@50 Sow: from February - July
                              Last edited by smallblueplanet; 13-08-2023, 08:04 PM.
                              To see a world in a grain of sand
                              And a heaven in a wild flower

Comment

Well I had one fruit from this plant and non from 6 others. Now it's going even more downhill Fed with tomato feed and previous to that, comfrey
                                Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20230828_133106.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	810.7 KB
ID:	2567739

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X