Sutton Broad Beans all flowers fallen

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sutton Broad Beans all flowers fallen

Well I'm dumbfounded as every one of my Sutton B Bean plants have yielded no beans bar 2 and yet my Taller Beans from another variety have been ok (see photos) Due to limited space I have had to put them close together, but this hasn't been a problem for the larger variety. The Sutton plants seem healthy enough so why no beans because flowers have fallen ? All kept well watered.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20230623_102043.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	269.2 KB
ID:	2564324 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20230623_102051.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	248.2 KB
ID:	2564323

It'll be water stress.
    You might have done your best to keep them well watered, but when they are that close to other plants (and each other) in the hot, sunny days we've been having lately then often the roots can't keep up no matter how much water you give them. The combination of heat and competition is just too much.

Comment

Point taken but why do the other beans that are taller produce in the same conditions? I have always grown them this close in the past (some hot summers) and they have given beans. Not all of us have the luxury of big gardens/allotments sadly. I just think The Sutton is a duff batch (to add to the already long list bought from Wilko last end of Summer) I have never known such a terrible year for seds packets.
      Last edited by Marb67; 24-06-2023, 08:12 AM.

Comment

I had a few disappointing times with the Sutton, changed to Bunyards Exhibition, much better all round, won't go back now.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
        Working...
        X