Holes in peppers.

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Holes in peppers.

Have noticed that some of my peppers have a small hole in them about 1/8 th of an inch. When i open them up there is nothing to be seen. Can any one tell me what is making this. Am unable to send a photo.
    [Still living in a bygone age]
    Thanks.
    Bob.

My guess would be teeny tiny snails. That's what I have found eating mine in the past.
    Nestled somewhere in the Cambridgeshire Fens. Good soil, strong winds and 4 Giant Puffballs! https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...lies/smile.gif
    Always aim for the best result possible not the best possible result
    https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...ilies/wink.gif
    Forever indebted to Potstubsdustbins https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...lies/smile.gif

Comment

Yeah, it's almost always tiny snails or slugs. I get that sort of damage all the time, sadly.
      To help reduce it, I've taken to growing peppers exclusively in pots or raised beds. They still get some snail damage, but it's a lot less.

I would recommend picking any damage peppers and eating them as green peppers as soon as possible (damaged bits cut out, obviously). Once they get a hole in them, they'll go bad on the plant soon enough if you leave them.

Comment

Thanks for your help. I give a lot of peppers to friends so want them to look at there best.
        Bob.

Comment

I'd agree with snails. Mine are in the greenhouse and the snails seem to make a beeline. Eat a bit and leave the rest. At least they aren't eating my tomatoes!
          Mostly flowers, some fruit and veg, at the seaside in Edinburgh.

Comment

Found a massive snail besides the peppers with some tiny ones. Do not know how they manage to hide. Greenhouse is sterilised every backend and repainted all the benches.
            Bob.

Comment

Sympathy like, there, Bob. My red peppers this year have suffered badly from sun scorch this year and the snails have made a beeline for the thin, weaker walls. Very frustrating. Know how you feel.

Comment

Originally posted by Snoop Puss View Post
                Sympathy like, there, Bob. My red peppers this year have suffered badly from sun scorch this year and the snails have made a beeline for the thin, weaker walls. Very frustrating. Know how you feel.
                I got some bad sun scorch on just one of my plants (for the first time ever) this year. It was when I made the mistake of rotating it, thus exposing to the sun the side of the peppers which had previously been in the shade (and thus weren't used to the strong sunlight).

Comment

Found a slug about 4 inches long beside the peppers. Where it came from is a mystery.
                  Bob.

Comment

chuck it in a tray of salt or cut it in half.
                    Near Worksop on heavy clay soil

Comment

Originally posted by Plot70 View Post
                      chuck it in a tray of salt or cut it in half.
                      I recommend killing them in-situ (or as close to as possible) if one can, but cutting or squashing.
                      From experience, I have found that there is nothing that slugs love to eat more than dead slugs. As such, dead slugs make excellent decoys to distract slugs away from your plants, as well as acting as bait to draw more slugs to a single point so that you can kill them, too.

Comment

Originally posted by ameno View Post

I recommend killing them in-situ (or as close to as possible) if one can, but cutting or squashing.
                        From experience, I have found that there is nothing that slugs love to eat more than dead slugs. As such, dead slugs make excellent decoys to distract slugs away from your plants, as well as acting as bait to draw more slugs to a single point so that you can kill them, too.
                        Never thought about that. Will try that and see how it goes.
                        Thanks for the tip.
                        Bob.

Comment

I had a horrible time the other day,there was a hole in the pepper,I took it in the kitchen on a plate,cut the end carefully & a little spider came out,I cut it a bit more & there was a slug sleeping inside it

Comment

Sympathy like there, JJ.

I spotted tiny holes in a few of my peppers today but no sign of sun scorch. So I opened them up and there were caterpillars inside or perhaps not true caterpillars but corn earworms.

Comment

I found a caterpillar on a different plant eating holes in my pepper leaves. Got rid of that quickly. A few years ago,I cut open a pepper,it was a bit soft,getting old & there was a ready to fly moth inside that I quickly caught. Cutting open peppers is interesting

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X