This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by quanglewangle View Post
    This is the bit that worries me because it exposes my lack of knowledge of plant physiology: which bits are stems and how many stems do need anyway? Which bits are just leaves? And worst of all, which bits will become flowers?
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Resize_20220410_144256_6871.jpg
Views:	274
Size:	466.9 KB
ID:	2544068
    I agree with Mr bones. If they grow, I just let them get on with it. If the plants appear happy they never let me down and they just keep on giving......

Comment

Setting all this masterful inactivity aside, surely suckers like this have to go.

Name:	IMG_20220411_103750.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	676.6 KB
ID:	2544099
      I live in a part of the UK with very mild winters. Please take this into account before thinking "if he is sowing those now...."

Comment

The only thing I remove from mine are dead leaves. I'm not saying this is right but I usually get a good crop. They usually end up looking really untidy.
        Click image for larger version  Name:	20220411_113419.jpg Views:	0 Size:	574.3 KB ID:	2544103
        Last edited by greenishfing; 11-04-2022, 10:40 AM.

Comment

Just to add, nearly every year I suddenly get an influx of greenfly in the greenhouse. They only seem to go for the aubergine plants. The first time this happened I spent ages attempting to squish as many of the little bug*ers as I could. A very messy business. Two days later I got an inundation of ladybird larvae happily munching the remainder. Now I leave the greenfly alone and within a few days the ladybird larvae have always appeared and got rid of them for me.

Comment

You'll get flowers and fruit on what you call a sucker, quanglewangle. Depends if you want a small number of large fruit or prefer more fruit of a smaller size. There are just two of us, so I tend to go for more fruit of what are for us a more manageable size. I don't remove any side branches or 'suckers'. They all bear fruit.

Comment

I do remove tomato suckers, otherwise it's a jungle and it's hard to see the fruit. I might try removing some from my aubergine (thanks for the photo quangle). This is a very informative thread, all. Thanks.
              Mostly flowers, some fruit and veg, at the seaside in Edinburgh.

Comment

Have flowers (edit: flower buds obviously!) now. All four plants have same arrangement: one big and two small in a cluster.
                Click image for larger version  Name:	Compress_20220430_123651_1462.jpg Views:	14 Size:	573.3 KB ID:	2544929
                Last edited by quanglewangle; 01-05-2022, 08:23 AM.
                I live in a part of the UK with very mild winters. Please take this into account before thinking "if he is sowing those now...."

Comment

Flowers about to open now

Name:	Compress_20220510_173047_7213.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	867.0 KB
ID:	2545496

Comment

Same here Q

Name:	MM-Flowers.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	245.6 KB
ID:	2545504
                    Location ... Nottingham

Comment

Mr Bones your flowers, like your seedlings in ypur earlier posts have more colour than mine. Moneymaker?

Comment

Mr Bones your flowers, like your seedlings in ypur earlier posts have more colour than mine. Moneymaker?
                        Yes, Kings seeds version of Money Maker
                        Location ... Nottingham

Comment

I've got aphids. Not a very bad infestation and only on the aubergines.

Never had them before but was late getting the greenhouse bed marigolds going. Had some aphidus biological control delivered today and started releasing them.

Can't hear any munching yet but we'll see.

Comment

^^^ Time to get a few ladybirds in there Q
                            Location ... Nottingham

Comment

I've got aphids. Not a very bad infestation and only on the aubergines.

Never had them before but was late getting the greenhouse bed marigolds going. Had some aphidus biological control delivered today and started releasing them.

Can't hear any munching yet but we'll see.
                              I've put out some ladybird larvae onto my aphid-infested roses. What biological control are you using quangle?
                              Mostly flowers, some fruit and veg, at the seaside in Edinburgh.

Comment

Originally posted by Babru View Post

I've put out some ladybird larvae onto my aphid-infested roses. What biological control are you using quangle?
                                I'm using Aphidius Colemani, a tiny wasp that stings and parasitizes the aphids.
                                Last edited by quanglewangle; 20-05-2022, 11:52 PM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X