Collapse

This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I forget that folks are in different locations with very different climates!
    I live in a part of the UK with very mild winters. Please take this into account before thinking "if he is sowing those now...."

Comment

Looks like my onions are on their way out...
      They all have some sort of leaf infection, with a sort of black sooty mould on the leaves. I doubt they'll survive much longer, but I've given them a good soak today in the hopes that they might at least swell a bit more. The bulbs are a usable size already, at least (most are 2-3 inches across), but they're far smaller than they usually would be when I harvest them (which they would be, seeing as I usually harvest them in early August, not late June).

I imagine this fungus got in as a secondary infection due to the allium leaf miner damage. I shall cover my onions with mesh next year to keep the flies out.

Comment

I finally planted my shallots (long ones, for Autumn planting) on March 15th. They have split into little clumps but don't seem to be doing much in the way of swelling up or growing.
        Are they likely to do anything or have they got a serious case of the hump because I sowed them in Spring?
        (They were planted in modules and had good sprouts on them by the time they went in the ground)
        Nestled somewhere in the Cambridgeshire Fens. Good soil, strong winds and 4 Giant Puffballs! https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...lies/smile.gif
        Always aim for the best result possible not the best possible result
        https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...ilies/wink.gif
        Forever indebted to Potstubsdustbins https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...lies/smile.gif

Comment

Gave autumn started onions a light finishing feed 10gm2 of 13-13-21 for harvest in about four of five weeks.

Still have a few of last years to eat. Going the whole year with own onions is a milestone for us.
          I live in a part of the UK with very mild winters. Please take this into account before thinking "if he is sowing those now...."

Comment

Most of our maincrop has been struck with downy mildew, swept through like wildfire so lifted them quick and removed all affected leaves. Still a good harvest so hoping they store long enough to eat.
            Location ... Nottingham

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Bones View Post
              Most of our maincrop has been struck with downy mildew, swept through like wildfire so lifted them quick and removed all affected leaves. Still a good harvest so hoping they store long enough to eat.
              Sorry to hear that. Has it been wet?

Comment

Originally posted by quanglewangle View Post

Sorry to hear that. Has it been wet?
                It's been really dry here - we're surrounded by hills so definitely something of a micro-climate, we really do tend to miss the rain. I think most probably it was a combination of damp, humid air and covering the crop with enviromesh ultrafine to keep the allium miner out - talk about devilled if you do and devilled if you don't.
                Most of the crop pictured below - keeping my fingers crossed.. they taste superb

Click image for larger version

Name:	Onions-1.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	568.8 KB
ID:	2548606 Click image for larger version

Name:	Onions-2.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	838.6 KB
ID:	2548607
                Location ... Nottingham

Comment

A link to the 2023 thread

Onions 2023. - The Grapevine (growfruitandveg.co.uk)
                  Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X