This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Snoop Puss View Post
    Interesting, Mr Bones. You don't multisow?
    Not maincrop - although a few plants in twos by accident are left to grow on. Our spring onions are multi-sown but aren't ready to go out yet.

Should have mentioned about the photo - Mrs. B's just giving the plants a final firming before covering with fine net to protect initially from blackbirds and foxes (digging) and then the allium leaf miner.
    Location ... Nottingham

Comment

Our autumn started onions have started to grow again. We lost some in the gales, hence the gaps.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	Compress_20220322_091724_4827.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	513.6 KB
ID:	2543172 image widget
      I live in a part of the UK with very mild winters. Please take this into account before thinking "if he is sowing those now...."

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Bones View Post

Not maincrop - although a few plants in twos by accident are left to grow on. Our spring onions are multi-sown but aren't ready to go out yet.

Should have mentioned about the photo - Mrs. B's just giving the plants a final firming before covering with fine net to protect initially from blackbirds and foxes (digging) and then the allium leaf miner.
        Thanks. Charles Dowding is a big multisower and I've started mine off, multisown in modules. Fingers crossed it works OK.

Comment

Most of my multisown rijksburger were planted out yesterday and cloched. Run out of cloches and as low overnight temps predicted this week, will leave the rest until next week. Someone has promised to make me another cloche by then.
          I didn’t cover them last year and all was well but that could have been luck or a bad season for the pest as have lost a few to allium leaf miner in previous years.

Comment

All my autumn sown onion setts are growing outdoors for the past 6 weeks.
            I started them in individual pots and then planted them all out..Sturon Centurion and The Sutton.

And when your back stops aching,
            And your hands begin to harden.
            You will find yourself a partner,
            In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

My autumn planted seedlings are just starting to bulb up a bit. Nice to see them looking so perky after the winter.

Comment

The rest of my rijksburger planted out. They do look a bit weedy but hoping they will bulk up soon given the warmer weather forecast.
                The long red Florence are still at the blades of grass stage so I stuck them in 2s and 3s in pots and crossed my fingers.

Comment

Picked the first of this years spring onions (White Lisbon)

Name:	Spring-Onions.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	759.2 KB
ID:	2546251
                  Location ... Nottingham

Comment

One of the sets we started in October is bolting. This only worth commenting on is because it happens so seldom.

Name:	Compress_20220603_100440_0386.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	1.52 MB
ID:	2546764
                    I live in a part of the UK with very mild winters. Please take this into account before thinking "if he is sowing those now...."

Comment

You're not on your own Q, we've had a couple of autumn sown onions bolt so far.
                      Location ... Nottingham

Comment

Sympathy likes there, guys.

I've decided not to plant out my late Valencian onions. These are the ones you get here that keep the longest in storage at the end of winter. But frankly, I don't much like them. They're very hard (hence the good storage) and not great for cooking with. So I've decided I'll grow loads more leeks instead. They can stay in the ground over winter, so there's no chance of them rotting in storage. And as well as overwintering onions, I'll grow more calçots, which will also stay in the ground and make nice sweet fresh onions in late winter early spring.

I'm not just being lazy, honest!

Comment

Originally posted by Snoop Puss View Post
                          Sympathy likes there, guys.
                          Kind of you but one bolt is under 2% loss.

Way up from our usual zero though.

Comment

We've had quite a few of autumn planted onion sets bolt. Never happened before. Pinning hopes for storage on seed onions sown in early January

Comment

I put it down to a long spell of dry weather this spring and maybe some clumsy hoeing - onions have very shallow roots.

We edge the spacing closer each year. I don't think this is detrimental so long as there is plenty of nutrients and water but makes them susceptible to any dry spells and needs more precision when hoeing.

Comment

Originally posted by quanglewangle View Post
                                We edge the spacing closer each year. I don't think this is detrimental so long as there is plenty of nutrients and water but makes them susceptible to any dry spells and needs more precision when hoeing.
                                You can go a lot closer than that.
                                I plant my onions at probably half that spacing, and still get some really big onions every year.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X