every day's a school day ...

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• every day's a school day ...

I don't know how many of you remember Joe Maiden (Grow with Joe on UKTV Gardens I think it was) well I found out he did a book. SO being the sort of person I am I did a quick search and found one on Ebay. it cost me £2 said it was good condition ... Well, it came today ... its brand new from what I can see, list price £14.95 ... Bargain!!! So I hd a look in it over a mug of tea and its quite good really. goes through verious vegetables and what he thinks are the best varieties and how to grow them and when I got to peas it gave a wonderful little nugget.

When your hanging baskets have gone over remove the plants and compost them, refresh the compost with a bit of Blood,fish and bone and plant with 16 pea seeds in a 16" basket, Something like Early Onward, Meteor or Little Marvel, and hang them up in your greenhouse/Polytunnel ... Extra early peas and not mouse problem!

Brilliant I've got a few baskets I may just sow a few peas !

Any more nuggets and I'll let you know
    ntg
    Never be afraid to try something new.
    Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
    A large group of professionals built the Titanic
    ==================================================

Never thought of growing upside down peas! Worth a try.
    My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
    to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

NTG, Joe Maiden had a good following here on the vine lots of us listened to The Tim and Joe program on Radio Leeds, the vine got a mention a few times

Here's an old link.

https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...oe#post1596887
      Last edited by Bren In Pots; 03-11-2021, 08:47 AM.
      Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Thanks Nick I will give that a try
        it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Member of the Nutters Club but I think I am just there to make up the numbers

Comment

After the previous post I think I will try some lettuce in a hanging basket as well, I had some going in the tomato bed but they are all gone not sure whither snails or mice though do think mice as they disappeared in one night and I have came across a couple of field mice recently near the greenhouse
          Last edited by rary; 03-11-2021, 04:02 PM.
          it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Member of the Nutters Club but I think I am just there to make up the numbers

Comment

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
            Never thought of growing upside down peas! Worth a try.
            me neither I remember someone used to grow their Tomatoes in buckets that were hung up ... Can't remember who it was ... it wasn't you was it Snadger ?

Scrap that it's just come tome ... it was Geordie
            Last edited by nick the grief; 03-11-2021, 06:23 PM.
            ntg

Comment

Originally posted by Bren In Pots View Post
              NTG, Joe Maiden had a good following here on the vine lots of us listened to The Tim and Joe program on Radio Leeds, the vine got a mention a few times
              I liked Joe Maiden, he wasn't as slick as some presenters but it was good advice. I'm afraid I'm not a Monty Don fan my favourites were Geoffrey SMith and Geoff Hamilton its all a bit too much garden designery now.
              ntg

Comment

Originally posted by nick the grief View Post
                me neither I remember someone used to grow their Tomatoes in buckets that were hung up ... Can't remember who it was ... it wasn't you was it Snadger ?

Scrap that it's just come tome ... it was Geordie
                Ah yes. Geordie, the knowledgeable blue gorilla! I have grown Gartenpearl toms along with tiny yellow pear shped toms in large hanging baskets sucessfully. It's a shame I have just sown my broadies a couple of days ago as I could have tried upside down broad beans! In retrospect the stems would not be flexible enough to hang down but peas should.
                My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Originally posted by rary View Post
                  After the previous post I think I will try some lettuce in a hanging basket as well, I had some going in the tomato bed but they are all gone not sure whither snails or mice though do think mice as they disappeared in one night and I have came across a couple of field mice recently near the greenhouse
                  Mr Snoop has come across some of those metal stands that have terracotta pots that sit in the top. The pots have holes in, I presume for flowers, herbs or maybe even strawberries. I might try some lettuce in them. Possibly a bit cold for the roots, but we have masses of bubble wrap about the place. Nothing like fresh lettuce come January, February when you've eaten enough brassicas for the whole of winter but there's still February and March to go.

Thanks, NtG, thanks, Rary.

Comment

Originally posted by Snoop Puss View Post

Mr Snoop has come across some of those metal stands that have terracotta pots that sit in the top. The pots have holes in, I presume for flowers, herbs or maybe even strawberries. I might try some lettuce in them. Possibly a bit cold for the roots, but we have masses of bubble wrap about the place. Nothing like fresh lettuce come January, February when you've eaten enough brassicas for the whole of winter but there's still February and March to go.

Thanks, NtG, thanks, Rary.
                    i don't know what you have down there in spayne but back here in the mother country our chip shops have their fish delivered in polystyrene boxes (Or used to) and I used to get them and use them for overwintering things like geraniums(pelargoniums), Dahlias and my Chrysanth stools as theyre nice and deep ... they'd be ideal for growing lettuce in but these days I have a couple of the trays off large Rabbit cages - theyre like a big litter tray. ANd I can grow 6-8 lettuce in each one of those in the greenhouse and harvest a few leaves off them each week which equates to about the same as bag of salad leaves from the supermarket.
                    ntg

Comment

Originally posted by nick the grief View Post

I liked Joe Maiden, he wasn't as slick as some presenters but it was good advice. I'm afraid I'm not a Monty Don fan my favourites were Geoffrey SMith and Geoff Hamilton its all a bit too much garden designery now.
                      Most of the garden programmes are a way beyond what one would do. Remember watching a presenter building this thing in this garden which was far to big. It cost over a £100,000 and the value of the house was less than £200.000. Council had it removed. Another program the female presenter had wellies on and was walking all over just laid turf,
                      Bob.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X