Sweet pepper issues

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sweet pepper issues

Has anyone else had issues with germination of sweet pepper seeds this year, specifically California Wonder?
    I sowed 12 seeds into a module tray and non of them germinated and after 6 weeks gave up.
    Re-sowed from a different source a week ago so hope to have better luck this time.
    Keeping them warm and moist same as last year when I had 100% success with a different variety.
    Same compost as I'm using for all my other seeds and they are coming up fine.

Just wondered if anyone else was seeing the same thing.
    Thanks

I did, initially have some problems with that very variety, but I chitted a few more in a jam jar on a bit of damp kitcyhen towel and then planted the seeds. Biggest problem I have had over the years is the need to keep them and chilli seeds continously damp untill they have started growing.

I suspect that the batch of pepper seeds that I had was not the newest or best kept stock even when I bought it last year...
    Location:- Rugby, Warwckshire on Limy clay (within sight of the Cement factory)

Comment

I don't try to grow California Wonder any more waste of time ...i grow the pointy ones like Mila Bulgarian. and Fatama

Comment

I agree with Ms T, California Wonder never did well for me.
        I grow Romaro, the long red pointy sweet pepper.

And when your back stops aching,
        And your hands begin to harden.
        You will find yourself a partner,
        In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

I've never grown that variety, but last year I did have issues with certain varieties not germinating well (or, indeed, at all).
          This year I decided to sprout them all on damp tissue first before potting them up. If you keep them sufficiently warm (I had mine above the radiator in the kitchen) then good seeds should start sprouting in 2-3 days, 5 days at the outside. If they are still doing nothing after 5 days then the seeds are almost certainly no good.
          This saves a lot of time, as you only have to wait 5 days or so to tell if the seeds are no good, rather than waiting weeks for germination which may never happen.

Comment

Ok, thanks for all the tips.
            I'll get another variety and do the jam jar/damp paper trick.
            The second batch have had nearly 2 weeks now and nothing so I think I'll give up now as the season is moving on and I can't wait much longer.
            Pointy peppers it is
            Wish me luck....

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X