Growing Sweet corn in the north

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jenegade View Post
    It's also a sweetcorn variety, I did a google search and found the link below:

Organic Gardening: How to grow organic Corn | Vegetable Crops for the Garden

They also mentioned Earlibelle and Earliking on that site as northern varieties, can't really find anyone selling them though...
    Earliking has been replaced now by one called F1 Earligold.

Comment

I grew Swift a couple of years ago and it did ok, but still didn't have a full cob. I start them off in biggish peat pots in mid April and plant out beginning of June, so they do get a headstart.

Comment

Being so far north mine grow in the tunnel really well, but I've had best success with butterscotch which is supersweet, mid season maturing (which suits the north) and is described as vigorous with cold tolerance.

Vigorous and cold tolerance normally catch my eye which means I'll probably get normal growth.
        ~
        Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn't know that so it goes on flying anyway.
        ~ Mary Kay Ash

Comment

Good to see you there Jennie - we've missed you.
          I'm going to start the sweet corn in pots as early as I can this year - in the conservatory. The plants don't get too big to start with so I can grow them on ready to go out at the end of May. Hopefully that will extend the season a bit and let me get them all ripened.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

Butterscotch sounds like a good variety of sweetcorn, if you can grow it up in Shetland, surely I can grow it down here!

How early are you going to start germinating your sweetcorn Alice?
            http://jenegademaster.blogspot.com/

Comment

My method for growing is to sow indoors in heat, at 20 C, on top of the compost to prevent the seed rotting, in individual cells in late April. Remember that there is no point in sowing the seed too early, or the plants will become too big before you can plant them out into their final growing positions, when danger of frost has passed. Move the plants to a cooler frost free location such as a cold frame.

Plant out in June in a sunny, sheltered position, when all danger of frost is past in your area. In Northern areas, I would recommend continuing to provide cloche protection for the first month or so, to counter the effects of late frosts or cold winds.
              This was particularly useful this year with the dull, cool, wet summer. After taking off the Lidl cloche which covered three rows of very vigorous sweetcorn, they grew very strongly. Each plant produced 2 to 2.5 cobs of succulent cobs, many of which are still in my freezer.

Comment

Originally posted by Jenegade View Post
                'Northern Extra Sweet' that is meant to grow well further north
                I tried this last year: the plants didn't get taller than 18" and I didn't get a single good cob from 20 plants
                Conqueror however, did brilliantly (again)

Originally posted by JennieAtkinson View Post
                I've had best success with butterscotch... (which suits the north) and is described as vigorous with cold tolerance.
                T&M have Butterscotch seeds
                All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Yup, 'Northern Extra Sweet' were truly abysmal for me too. They all developed at a completely different rate to each other, only 2 plants got to 5ft, and therefore pollination was rubbish. My 'crop' from 12 plants was 2 or 3 'cobs' of the sort used for stir-frying

Comment

Incredible does incredibly well for me.................
                    My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                    to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

I live in Lancaster and look for corn which says 'suitable for northern Britain' or something similar on the packet. I've had both good and poor results and would say that timing of sowing/planting out was crucial, also planting them in a block to ensure pollination. I had LESS luck with F1 varieties....
                      hohum,
                      JM

Comment

Sorry for posing probably a very daft question but i just wanted to clarify- F1 varieties don't need polinating so it's not necessary to plant them in blocks?

I'm a novice gardener and this will be thje first year i'' have tried sweetcorn

Comment

Originally posted by JamesM View Post
                          F1 varieties don't need polinating so it's not necessary to plant them in blocks?
                          yes they do, and yes it is

what are F1 seeds?
                          Last edited by Two_Sheds; 27-01-2011, 08:02 AM.
                          All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
                            yes they do, and yes it is

what are F1 seeds?
                            Glad I asked

Comment

rather than start a new thread i thought i'd ask here:

This year i'm planning on growing sweetcorn in four large, square pots. My plan is probably to sow say 5 seeds per pot and thin to two plants per pot (although i may start them in a growhouse before transplanting). The pots will be arranged so they form a square as from what i've read this will be as good a block as i can form for pollination purposes.

I understand that this isn't an ideal method for growing the stuff but i am keen to grow veg that i really enjoy- i was hoping some more experienced gardeners out there would be able to advise me on my chances of succeeding?

(just as a footnote as it isn't included on my profile- i live in Bury St Edmunds in suffolk so climate wouldn't be a problem)

Comment

Originally posted by JennieAtkinson View Post
                                I've had best success with butterscotch which is supersweet, mid season maturing (which suits the north) and is described as vigorous with cold tolerance.
                                Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post

T&M have Butterscotch seeds
                                I just looked at the T&M page for this and it says: "A major new variety of early/mid season maturity, in that not only is it a corn of super sweetness, but Sweetcorn Butterscotch has also been modified by the 'sugar enchance' gene. "

I don't think I want genetically modified corn

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X