Tilling moss into soil...

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tilling moss into soil...

The soil on my allotment plot was pretty bad when I took it on last April, but I've been tilling in all sorts of organic matter over the course of the year and it's looking a bit better now. Sacks of shredded leaves, some bushes that I chipped with my mower, and next doors chickens have helped.

It's coming to the time of the year when next door (other side) dusts off his electric lawn scarifier and he's told me it overloads his green bin. He's also offered to lend it to me so I can do my lawns.

Is there any benefit to be had to tilling all the lawn moss into my allotment?

Thanks.

Moss is basically young peat.
    I sometimes add it to potting compost.
    Near Worksop on heavy clay soil

Comment

Moss is good at retaining moisture, and once it's dead should rot down fairly quickly I would think, so I certainly can't see any harm to digging it in.

Comment

When I scarify my lawn, there's quite a lot of grass mixed in with the moss. I mix it all into the compost heap, it compresses down quite quickly and seems to make good compost. I can't see any harm in digging it in instead, though, except for the effort involved.
        My gardening blog: In Spades, last update 30th April 2018.
        Chrysanthemum notes page here.

Comment

Just out of interest I found out this about composting moss...

http://www.askorganic.co.uk/composti...ing%20moss.htm
          "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Good link Nicos I've always just chucked the moss in my compost bin but it seems like leaving it in old compost bags might be a better idea if it's best kept separate.
            Location....East Midlands.

Comment

I like the tip of adding soil to it as an activator too !

Comment

That link of yours Nicos comes up as dangerous on my computer, never had that before, beware of it just in case.

Comment

I take out a trench where I am going to plant beans and put it in the bottom to conserve moisture.
                  Gardening requires a lot of water - most of it in the form of perspiration. Lou Erickson, critic and poet

Comment

Originally posted by burnie View Post
                    That link of yours Nicos comes up as dangerous on my computer, never had that before, beware of it just in case.

Seems OK using Norton. But thanks for heads up.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X