X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In praise of Nero Kale

Just had a helping of Nero Kale.
    Discovered it a few years ago.
    It always seems to do well and lasts into the spring.
    I grow about 6 plants.
    Use the root fly collars.
    Not much seems to bother them, perhaps a bit of pigeon protection early on.

I strip the leaf stems an chop the stems up fine. The cook in microwave fo 3 mins with salt and pepper. Add the rest of the leaves and give a further 2 mins.
    Yummy.

I saw Jamie Oliver do a spagetti with liquidised greens mixed in. I think the kale would do very well.

Anyone else enjoy Nero?

Finally, waiting for jabs(s) so I can get to the pub for a pint or 2 or ....

Suspect Autumn or later, if pubs still exist.

Jimmy
    Expect the worst in life and you will probably have under estimated!

Hi Jimmy- good to see up you again!

We grow it every year too and as usual it’s doing really well....although we did have greenfly on it this year for the first time.

I love it too....very reliable!
    "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

I grow 8 plants and that’s plenty for the two of us, I use kale as a steamed veg, in soups, gratins and the young leaves in salad. It makes nice crisps if dehydrated
      Location....East Midlands.

Comment

We love the stuff and usually grow it, but it got slugged this year. Have a great recipe for Cavolo Nero bruschetta, lightly boiled with a clove of garlic then shredded up (with the cooked garlic clove) on top of a toasted piece of ciabatta rubbed with garlic and drizzled with extra virgin olive oil............ Mmmmm bruschetta....

Comment

My favourite brassica!!. Pubs though? Maybe. Depends how the locals behave. I can only live in hope, a half of hand pulled black Sheep please. But I am not over optimistic as I can see how some idiots behave.

Comment

It makes really good Stampot
            Gardening requires a lot of water - most of it in the form of perspiration. Lou Erickson, critic and poet

Comment

Am going to grow Kale this year for the first time. You should try the Jamie Oliver recipe with kale - we had it for dinner tonight was yummy.

Comment

I also love it. I just harvest leaves from the bottom and it gets very tall and odd looking. My neighbour lets his get very big and they disappear one by one over the winter.
                I usually cut out the central vein, slice it, fry for a few min with loads of garlic, and add a glug of water to the hot pan and let it steam through. When that water is gone and kale is tender I add flaky salt. The cavolo nero goes really deep green and glossy.

I should probably experiment with other ways of cooking it, but I never get round to if as I like it like this so much.

Comment

I do 3 sowings of Nero kale and always have a nice supply of tender plants to harvest year round. The older plants are still in the ground at the moment but getting a bit ragged. I over wintered 6 in my tunnel which are getting ready to take over the reigns. Sowed more this week which should be ready to start harvesting when the over wintered ones bolt in spring.

Comment

Speaking of bolting, I noticed yesterday that one of my cavolo nero plants is bolting already, despite being the F1 variety Black Magic, which is supposed to be more bolt resistant than the standard variety.
                    It's these damn mild winters we get here in the South West... The weeds never stop growing, either.

Comment

I brought some to try this year. My curly red kale has been ravaged by pidgeons, but I'm hoping to get some environmesh or netting soon so this wont happen again.

Comment

When mine bolts I use the flower heads in stir fries. .

Comment

What about caterpillars? I wasn't planning on growing any brassicas this year as there are so many cabbage whites around (and I only grow things that don't need netted). You've got me thinking about kale now though. They do look amazing too.
                          Mostly flowers, some fruit and veg, at the seaside in Edinburgh.

Comment

Kale looks pretty enough to be grown in flower or shrub borders so maybe you could hide some in there, have to say though that it is easy to pick caterpillars from Cavolo Nero leaves.

Comment

My Cavolo Nero seeds arrived today. Had also ordered kale red Russian seeds which folk on the forum had recommended but strangely the packet says it is a micro leaf. Have I made a stupid mistake and ordered the wrong thing?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X