Salads for 2021

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Salads for 2021

I am hoping to start off some salads in the next few days, I tend to do them as cut and come again .
    Any of these growable now? Unheated greenhouse but have a blow away in there and can grow on windowsills in the house.

I have:
    Little gem
    Red and green salad bowl
    Rocket
    Oriental and spicy leaves
    Mesclun mixed
    Lettuce Arctic King
    Mazur lettuce
    Northern England.

Depends on where you live. I recommend https://www.gardenfocused.co.uk/cale...rsonalised.php to help with this. Specific seed packets should state germination temperatures, but I think light is the restricting factor for a lot of things at this time of year. Although, I read recently that you can grow cut and come again greens all year round on a windowsil, though I have not tried this!

Comment

I'm scottish border . I think i will have an experiment . I will try some in gh blowaway and some i will do inside on cool windowsills. Thanks.
      Northern England.

Comment

You should be able to grow them on windowsills, but the leaves may be rather pale and the plants may elongate fairly quickly. Expect red leaved varieties to be mainly green as they need light for the red colour to develop.
        A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

Thanks Penellype
          Northern England.

Comment

I've sown hardy winter lettuce on a windowsill but they got leggy. I've potted on and buried up to the seed leaves. They are growing ok but are rather pale.

Personally, I am not sowing anything else until after 14/02 when the light levels are much better e.g. from 7 am to 5.15 pm (ish)

Think it is worth the wait if you don't have access to grow lights, heat mats etc

I am in the West Midlands for reference.
            Last edited by aylithuk; 20-01-2021, 09:30 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X