Collapse

This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Managed to get some weeding done at the allotment. Weeded about half of all of the veg beds.
    Also planted out some tenderstem broccoli cuttings I took just under 4 weeks ago. They had developed a good root system in that time. And I transplanted some cape gooseberry plants that had self-sown themselves from last year's fruit.
    Last edited by ameno; 04-07-2021, 01:22 AM.

Comment

• Yesterday - hoiked the over-sized batch of compost into the tin bay and started a new (more manageable sized) batch.
      Location ... Nottingham

Comment

• Planted out module grown mizuna, salad bowl and Riccia Rossa lettuce.
        Location....East Midlands.

Comment

• Spent 11 hrs at the plot yesterday (7am - 6pm) cleared 3 beds, dug out 10kg of sharpes express and 2kg of vivaldi, lifted garlic 8kg after cleaning. Planted out 12 butternut squash and the leeks and carrots. (Then we went to a party until 11.30). I was stiff this morning. First time I have needed a barrow to take produce home...

thinned parsnips and did a bit of weeding today.

Comment

• Yesterday, guided tour of the plot to two gardeners interested in going no dig (one from our site and one from another site).
            Location ... Nottingham

Comment

• Earthed up Nicola potatoes, weeded Ulster Sceptre and Charlottes.
              Attacked lots of weeds. I hate bindweed.
              Clipped grass edges between beds and along paths.
              I ache all over but am pleased with all I got done.
              Did I mention I hate bindweed
              Nestled somewhere in the Cambridgeshire Fens. Good soil, strong winds and 4 Giant Puffballs! https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...lies/smile.gif
              Always aim for the best result possible not the best possible result
              https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...ilies/wink.gif
              Forever indebted to Potstubsdustbins https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...lies/smile.gif

Comment

• Dug over the patch where I plan to plant my kale, as well as the area where I had my first early potatoes.
                Weeded one lot of runner beans.
                Prune the sour cherry and netted it.
                Planted out a tomato cutting I took, and removed the sideshoots from the other tomatoes.
                Last edited by ameno; 06-07-2021, 01:05 AM.

Comment

• Weeded, planted out more lettuce, turned compost bin contents into an empty bin.
                  Location....East Midlands.

Comment

• Sowed some turnips (inbetween sheltering in my sentry box from the rain). Parsley, radishes and carrots will have to wait.

Comment

• Sowed another row each of beetroot and carrots (the last sowing).
                      Planted out 15 or so dwarf french bean plants.
                      Weeded the oca and the rest of the beans. That's all the veg bed weeding done now.
                      Tied in the new loganberry and blackberry stems.

Also mulched the tomatoes and some of the runner beans with the seaweed I had collected a couple weeks ago.
                      Kinda wish I'd done it sooner. It had been in the bags too long and reeked of rotten eggs. It had also somehow changed the colour of the plastic pot I had one of the bags in, I suspect permanently (it was terracotta coloured, and now it's dark grey).

Comment

• Planted out some more dwarf french beans.
                        Weeded the asparagus and the new grape bed.
                        Did some strimming.

Comment

• Spent all day trying to sort out the impact of being away for 10 days away. Everything seems to have grown like crazy -and not all in a good way.

Comment

• Pruned the grape vines, then cut up the prunings to use to make folly wine.

Comment

• Cut down the alderman peas that had finished after a really good harvest. Picked blackcurrants and gooseberries.
                              Sowed more radishes.
                              Dug some Nicola spuds for tea and cut a lettuce and a cucumber to go with. Will also add a few cooked peas as found a few pods lurking.
                              I would have harvested the first Rosella tomatoes but something, I think a mouse, has got to every one that is almost ripe first so far and bitten it half through. It hasn’t touched the other vars growing nearby. I am resorting to desperate measures and tying a plastic bag around the truss every night to deny access. A bit of a faff but I am determined to discover what it finds so irresistible about them by actually eating one myself.

Comment

• Cut the grass and picked a huge tub of Blackcurrants, even though the birds have been eating them, plenty to share lol. I shall pick some guzzgogs this week too, no sign of outside strawberries ripening, might be some at the end of the week, had a few of the first Alpine Strawbs, they are little taste bombs.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X