Collapse

This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grubbed out broad bean stubs and replanted both beds with red kale. Harvested the last of the peas, cleared and replanted with black kale. Planted kale "overs" into the recent garlic bed as an interim crop.
    Location ... Nottingham

Comment

• Last couple of days have been spent finally planting out annuals into pots, baskets and beds, last of the toms and a cucumber into baskets. I still have so much to get into the ground.
      Can I please have 4 more hours in the day, I might just make it then!
      Nestled somewhere in the Cambridgeshire Fens. Good soil, strong winds and 4 Giant Puffballs! https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...lies/smile.gif
      Always aim for the best result possible not the best possible result
      https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...ilies/wink.gif
      Forever indebted to Potstubsdustbins https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...lies/smile.gif

Comment

• Just attacked the 3 metre high hedge with a big hedge trimmer, it's now closer to 2 metres and my compost bin floweth over, talking of which the overnight rain has re-filled my water butts just in the nick of time.

Comment

• Some slug killing and melon pollinating.
          The melon plants now have 5 fruits set, and loads more female flowers (more female than male, actually). The watermelons also have female flowers now, and hopefully I pollinated two of them today.

Comment

• A massive nonspecific tidy-up.

I'm aware of the second law of thermodynamics consequences of tidying up but it had to be done. Sorry if it was your entropy that increased.
            I live in a part of the UK with very mild winters. Please take this into account before thinking "if he is sowing those now...."
            ∃

Comment

• Spotted my first red strawberry of the year! If it survives the slug army, it should be ripe in a day or two. I have about 50 strawberry plants (of three varieties planted last year) but it's been so cold and overcast everything growing is weeks behind normal.

Comment

• I’m still planting out,it’s nice the days are long,I mowed the back lawn & mulched the sweetcorn with it & laid some over bare soil to stop weeds. Planted my thirty sixth tomato plant,roughly the same amount as last year. Did a lot of compost exchange,so I’m not planting tomatoes & peppers in last years tomato/potato compost,most of my plants are grown in really old compost or just the soil with some rootgrow (mycorrhizal fungi) to settle them in & water with seaweed fertiliser for a bit of nutrient. I’ve put one bean teepee up,where last years beans are regrowing,I’ve got about twelve to plant out so I need to put another teepee somewhere. Watered my borage leaves with seaweed to help the powdery mildew,I’ll need to do this again,why did I plant a courgette next to the powdery borage,I might remove some of it & put a bean teepee there to shield the courgette….
                Last edited by Jungle Jane; 28-06-2021, 12:12 PM.

Comment

• Strimmed the allotment paths, weeded the carrots and beetroot, and tied in the tomatoes.

Also discovered I now have 8 melons developing.

Comment

• Turned the double sized compost batch (it's a bit too big really and soon runs out of air in the centre) and laid some 3x2 slabs (commonly known as double hernia size ).
                    Location ... Nottingham

Comment

• Cut grass and mulched using the clippings. Pulled up lots of weeds from the raspberry bed.
                      Location....East Midlands.

Comment

• Found some room among the brassicas for the last leeks. Noted my first onion squash had set.
                        Cleared a tub of spuds and resowed with red chantenay carrots. A couple of my garlic have scapes coming.

Comment

• Planted out 9 Stonehead and 9 Tundra cabbages, was in the process of making up a net to cover them and discovered one I'd made up years ago but couldn't find for the last five years (how do you miss a 7m x 3m net, neatly tied up like a parcel with a large plastic label attached describing what it is...)
                          Location ... Nottingham

Comment

• Planted out some mixed lettuce into troughs, weeded and deadheaded.
                            Location....East Midlands.

Comment

• Emptied my garden compost bin, and transferred the contents of the other one into it.
                              Set up a climbing frame for the peas I planted a couple weeks ago.
                              Put mesh bags around all of my developing melons. I have 9 now.
                              Hand-pollinated two squash flowers.

Comment

• Finally got my Squashes and the last of the Sweetcorn in, 2 weeks later than last year, and planted all my Cobaea Scandens and Morning Glory plants which were all twisting up one another, oh what it was untangling al of those, up a couple of obelisks and arches.
                                I am aching all over. Happy aches though.
                                Nestled somewhere in the Cambridgeshire Fens. Good soil, strong winds and 4 Giant Puffballs! https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...lies/smile.gif
                                Always aim for the best result possible not the best possible result
                                https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...ilies/wink.gif
                                Forever indebted to Potstubsdustbins https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...lies/smile.gif

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X