Collapse

This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone planted out their peas yet? I have been sowing my aldermans in the gh for a few weeks now and got really good germination from last years crop. Just starting to think about getting them out in the ground.
    Our autumn-planted Kelvedon Wonder did not survive our unusually cold winter.
    Planted out out our KW yesterday. Sowed in modules and started in greenhouse couple weeks back.
    West Cornwall - mild but windy
    I live in a part of the UK with very mild winters. Please take this into account before thinking "if he is sowing those now...."

Comment

Sowed 55 sweetcorn Swift - ie 7*7 plus some spare
      In greenhouse on propergator in peat pots.

image widget
      I live in a part of the UK with very mild winters. Please take this into account before thinking "if he is sowing those now...."

Comment

Wow that is a lot of sweetcorn! A bit early for us up north to get those going.

Comment

Just checked last years diary and I started my courgettes on 22 March. Maybe I should sow a few this weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by annie8 View Post
            Wow that is a lot of sweetcorn! A bit early for us up north to get those going.
            We blanch it lightly and freeze it. Only works out at about one a week.

We are past our last frost here in West Cornwall (fingers crossed) , even if not past our last gale!

Comment

Today sowed burpees golden beetroot. Didn’t know whether to multisow or not as never grown before. The first 6 modules are individually sown. Might try multisowing for next lot in a few weeks time.

Comment

Sowed two lots of watercress, one packet in a flexible pot stood in a bowl of water, which is in the greenhouse. Second lot was scattered in the bog garden round the wildlife pond.

Comment

Sowing some spinach tonight.

Have trays of peas (sporadic germination), broad beans (old seed, in general good germination), lettuce, radish, turnip and beets all ready to go out soon.

Comment

I've sown the first of my pre chitted parsnips hopefully the rest will germinate in the next few days.
                    Location....East Midlands.

Comment

I'm not sowing sweetcorn just yet up here, I eat almost all of mine raw for pudding sat in the greenhouse(I have to grow it under glass up here, so I am limited as to how many plants I can grow).

Comment

Put some melon seeds on damp tissue yesterday, and set them on top of my radiator to sprout.
                        Checked on them just now, and they already have roots 1cm long, just 30 hours later. Good job I checked on them...

Comment

Sowed some peas in modules in the blowaway inside the greenhouse.

Comment

Potted up my sprouted melon seeds today. 50 hours after first putting them on damp tissue, they have roots an inch long and are starting to shed the seed coat already.
                            The watermelon seeds are a bit behind, but one of them is just starting to sprout.

Also sowed some black caraway and carrots in pots on the patio, and basil and tomatoes for growing indoors.

Comment

Originally posted by burnie View Post
                              I'm not sowing sweetcorn just yet up here, I eat almost all of mine raw for pudding sat in the greenhouse(I have to grow it under glass up here, so I am limited as to how many plants I can grow).
                              do you mean you start them under glass then plant them out? I haven’t started mine either, will wait until April but plant them into the raised beds once I’m pretty confident there are no more overnight frosts.

Comment

Originally posted by annie8 View Post

do you mean you start them under glass then plant them out? I haven’t started mine either, will wait until April but plant them into the raised beds once I’m pretty confident there are no more overnight frosts.
                                Yes, I am starting an early crop under glass, then I sow in succession with a couple of later sowings direct in the open ground, some folks use lengths of old guttering to sow inside, but I use cells, both work as well.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X