Collapse

This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• They were grown on a raised bed containing pickled weed roots including couch grass in a layer cake with wood chip and horse manure.
    There is a couple more wheelbarrow loads to go. I am in trouble for growing too many of them.
    Near Worksop on heavy clay soil

Comment

• French beans, tomatoes, peppers, a big bag of beans for drying, and the last of my Charlotte potatoes.

I also started digging up my sweet potatoes today. I dug up all five of my purple plants (Erato Violet), and totalled 4.9kg. A little disappointing, really. I've already taken cuttings to grow next year, so I'm hoping I can do a bit better by getting them off to an earlier start (they were bought plants this year, and arrived a week into June as tiny plug plants 2 inches tall).
      I also dug up three of nine of my usual white variety (T-65). 7.7kg between the three plants, although most of that was from two of the plants, as the third was one which nearly died in late June and then revived itself, meaning it was a rather weedy plant compared to the others. The weedy plant still gave almost a kilo, though.
      I had been hoping for an average of 4kg per plant for the eight good plants, and I'm a bit sort on that so far. We shall see how the others are.

Comment

• Originally posted by Plot70 View Post
        They were grown on a raised bed containing pickled weed roots including couch grass in a layer cake with wood chip and horse manure.
        There is a couple more wheelbarrow loads to go. I am in trouble for growing too many of them.
        They do look good Plot hope you have plenty of recipes.
        Location....East Midlands.

Comment

• I have been searching recipes and have found quite a few.
          They do keep quite well so I will have time to eat them hopefully.
          Near Worksop on heavy clay soil

Comment

• Big chilli harvest today. Frost possible next week and I'm off away Thurs so today was the day. Long day!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20211026_161306_compress80.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	666.4 KB
ID:	2535493

Piri piri mountain!

Name:	IMG_20211026_163156_compress24.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	734.8 KB
ID:	2535495

Hundreds of bahmanian goats

Name:	IMG_20211026_164606_compress93.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	612.5 KB
ID:	2535496

Hundreds of fatallis

Name:	IMG-20211026-WA0005_compress82.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	261.9 KB
ID:	2535494

Comment

• Simon that’s a great looking harvest

Comment

• Wow SS….that’s amazing!
                "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

• Dug up another three sweet potato plants today.
                  11.8kg between the three of them. That's more like it. The best plant gave 5.2kg all by itself, and the largest single tuber was 1.1kg.

Comment

• Originally posted by ameno View Post
                    Dug up another three sweet potato plants today.
                    11.8kg between the three of them. That's more like it. The best plant gave 5.2kg all by itself, and the largest single tuber was 1.1kg.
                    Well they certainly produce more than my usual potato crops which are usually pitiful per plant! Looking forward to growing them. I have 6 nice and strong ones ready to come indoors for the winter.

Comment

• Originally posted by SimpleSimon View Post

Well they certainly produce more than my usual potato crops which are usually pitiful per plant! Looking forward to growing them. I have 6 nice and strong ones ready to come indoors for the winter.
                      I've found space is the key to large crops. I've got 9 plants in an area of soil 6 ft x 6 ft (and that's just the root space; the vines spread further still, but those can just be allowed to grow between other plants, so they don't need their own allotted space).
                      I could probably grow normal 15 potato plants in that space, but even with the extra plants I would still get a better crop from the sweet potatoes in the same area, I think. I'm very prone to blight where I am, so the foliage of potatoes always needs cutting down early, so the crop size suffers accordingly. I got 19kg from 16 plants of maincrop potatoes this year, and 20kg from 15 plants last year. Plus potatoes always suffer slug and wireworm damage, too.
                      Sweet potatoes, however, I have found to be pretty much pest and disease free. No diseases at all, the only pests do minor leaf damage (like aphids, or plume moth caterpillars, which will eat the leaves but don't actually do much damage). Slugs never touch the tubers, and wireworms very rarely do, either (although sometimes there is the odd small hole). They also store really well as long as you do it right (room temperature, not cold or cool).

Comment

• Today peppers (still green), tomatoes, three courgettes off really dead looking plants, a few grapes and I brought home a few onions.

Comment

• Tomatoes, coriander, carrots, lettuce and the last spring onions.
                          Location ... Nottingham

Comment

• Raspberries, mixed lettuce basil, chives and some chard.

Comment

• The last three sweet potato plants today.
                              12.1kg between the three of them. The heaviest single tuber was real whopper at 1.5kg.

Comment

• Cabbage, celeriac, sage, parsnip and apples.
                                Location ... Nottingham

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X