Collapse

This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Courgette and some more tomatoes. Getting a steady trickle of toms now.

Comment

• Had my first Sweetcorn of the season, good pollination and nice juicy cob, eaten raw straight from the plant of course lol.

Comment

• Another big load of French beans, a green pepper, some tenderstem broccoli, and a load of achocha (a couple dozen fruits).

Comment

• Toms, cukes, courgettes, black kale and gladioli.
          Location ... Nottingham

Comment

• Yesterday blauhilde and runners beans, toms, cuc and radishes.

This morning 4 more cucumbers were ready.
            Location....East Midlands.

Comment

• i had 3 incredibly small beetroot harvested for me by my 2 year old. He also attempted to harvest an onion and a carrot but i was able to stop that in time!

I did however purposely harvest my first two courgettes of the year and will be using them at lunchtime with some Banana legs tomatoes and Basil from the greenhouse
              "Bulb: potential flower buried in Autumn, never to be seen again."
              - Henry Beard

Comment

• Originally posted by annie8 View Post
                Courgette and some more tomatoes. Getting a steady trickle of toms now.
                Ah I'm rather envious. Its been a terrible year for my tomatoes. Something has got into the greenhouse disease-wise and its been a constant battle to keep everything going! i've managed a few fruits per plant but nothing spectacular and certainly nothing compared to previous years.

I think i am going to go back to doing the safe bets such as sungold, gardeners delight and moneymaker rather than heirloom varieties.
                "Bulb: potential flower buried in Autumn, never to be seen again."
                - Henry Beard

Comment

• Peteyd I grow Black Cherry and usually I don’t have any trouble with them but this year it’s caterpillars eating the leaves, looks like cabbage whites ones I’ve been squashing.
                  Last edited by Bren In Pots; 14-08-2021, 02:41 PM.

Comment

• I don’t think for me it is an issue of heirloom v F1 this year. They have all been less sturdy pants and all a bit behind. Personally I really like to have a mix of heirloom varieties like black icicle and green grape and some of the f1s like gardeners delight. Think it’s good to a few different types in case any fail.

Comment

• Checked on the melon I picked the other day, and noticed a big puddle in the bowl underneath it.
                      Picked it up, and noticed that this puddle was melon juice, which had all drained out of a hole on the bottom of the melon.
                      Somehow, the inside of the melon had completely liquefied itself, and was slowing dripping out of a hole in the bottom. I might understand if the melon had gone off, but the funny thing was it hadn't. It still smelled and tasted absolutely normal, no sign of any decomposition or infection at all, so I scraped it out and had the pulped melon for dessert.
                      I'm at a complete loss as to how and why it liquefied itself, though, especially as it still seemed quite firm when I picked it a few days ago.
                      Last edited by ameno; 15-08-2021, 01:23 AM.

Comment

• What way up was it placed in the bowl?
                        This will tell up if it was the blossom end or the stalk end.
                        Near Worksop on heavy clay soil

Comment

• Originally posted by Plot70 View Post
                          What way up was it placed in the bowl?
                          This will tell up if it was the blossom end or the stalk end.
                          On its side. The hole was in the side facing down, neither the stalk nor the blossom end.

I'm pretty sure nothing actually entered it or pierced it from the outside, but rather it actually liquefied first, while the rind was still whole and intact, and then since it was then just a bag full of watery pulp, with no internal rigidity, the skin then split under the weight of the liquid inside.

I have had homegrown melons go very soft inside before due to being overripe, so this may have just been an extreme variant of that.
                          Last edited by ameno; 15-08-2021, 03:21 AM.

Comment

• First six tomatoes,I’ve got less than twenty plants left because of blight this year (maybe ten ) I’ve removed a lot,got some green tomatoes in the kitchen but these six are all ripe from good plants four halm gelbe,one indigo cherry drops & one aranyalma
                            Last edited by Jungle Jane; 15-08-2021, 06:25 PM.

Comment

• Black cherry toms, lettuce, cucumber, runners and peas.

Comment

• A load more french beans, and a load of tenderstem broccoli. Also another melon.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X