Broad beans

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broad beans

Is it too early to plant broad beans? And do you recommend straight into the ground or grow in pots/modules first?

Monty was sowing direct on friday, I have never tried autumn planting of them.

Comment

Kinds like aquadulche are fine to plant thiis time of year

Comment

Thanks yes they are aquadulche, I’m not bothering with spring planting next year, they were so rubbish, couldn’t get rid of the blackfly, but the autumn ones were fine.

suppose I’d better get on with it then!

Comment

Sowed mine yesterday in fact. Also giving up on spring sowings. They were quite weak plants this year and the blackfly marmolised them. Only trouble I find with autumn sowings is the chocolate spot comes earlier, but generally I get a decent crop.
          Are y'oroight booy?

Comment

I prefer sowing direct than using pots,mice have never gone for the broad beans but I don’t know if it’s because they prefer all of my peas?

Comment

Sowed 2 varieties direct into the soil at the weekend. Usually do a few spares in some rootrainers to fill in any gaps. We're lucky, it's cold but we have sandy soils which drain well so they seem to do OK.
              Last edited by Chippy Minton; 13-10-2020, 06:24 PM. Reason: Direct, not pots, direct

Comment

Mine went in the weekend before last in the greenhouse in pots in a propogator, just starting to sprout...

Comment

Thanks all, I’ve planted them directly into ground

Comment

mine also went in last weekend but no show yet !

Comment

I sow broad beans in both autumn and in spring - no massive difference in growth but allows for successive crops as early as possible. Autumn sowing is one more job off the list, if you have the space ready for them sow now, if not don’t panic because spring sowing works just fine.

Comment

My spring sown ones, were rubbish due to blackfly, dispute being sprayed with everything possible, chucked them all, inedible, autumn ones were fine.

Comment

Spent years experimenting with varieties/planting times. Autumn sowing seemed logical but few plants survived, then I tried Field Beans and haven't grown a broad bean since.
                          Massive yield, totally winter hardy, delish beans up to 60 pods per plant. 3-4 sq. Metres of ground (and a large freezer) gives enough to keep a bean addict happy for a year. Support is an issue as they grow 6-8 feet but if planted in staggered rows, with an all round 6-8" separation and support all round they do OK (see pic). The few plants that do fall still produce when horizontal. The long growing time may be an issue, Oct-July. but they're worth it.
                          Interestingly when the plants are cropped and cut off at ground level garlic seems to do very well as a follow on without digging.
                          Family motto "semper in excretum"

Comment

I only grow a few, though those Field Beans look good, I pinch the tops out of them and I have never had a black fly problem. Tried sowing in pots in the greenhouse and planting them out later, but found those sown direct usually did better. I have Aquadulce Claudia for next season, it says they are one of the best for autumn sowing, but I shan't bother, mine will go in at spring time.

Comment

They’ve come through already

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X