Broad beans

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dammad49 View Post
    Spent years experimenting with varieties/planting times. Autumn sowing seemed logical but few plants survived, then I tried Field Beans and haven't grown a broad bean since.
    Massive yield, totally winter hardy, delish beans up to 60 pods per plant. 3-4 sq. Metres of ground (and a large freezer) gives enough to keep a bean addict happy for a year. Support is an issue as they grow 6-8 feet but if planted in staggered rows, with an all round 6-8" separation and support all round they do OK (see pic). The few plants that do fall still produce when horizontal. The long growing time may be an issue, Oct-July. but they're worth it.
    Interestingly when the plants are cropped and cut off at ground level garlic seems to do very well as a follow on without digging.
    is this the same field beans that you see sold as green manure? After eating the pinched off tips of my broad beans last year (delicious!) I wondered about growing them just for greens, similar to growing pea shoots. But if field beans grow much taller, they might be better for greens. Anyone tried it?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
    Working...
    X