Ripening tomatoes

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ripening tomatoes

I have a good crop of tomatoes all looking health but very slow to ripen, as well as cool/cold days there was very little sunshine in the month of July which I think would have held them back so should I reduce or stop watering to encourage them to ripen and if I stop watering what should I do on days like today where the greenhouse temperature is over 30c should I stick to the no watering or what, possibly after today there won't be a problem as there is a 50% chance of rain almost every day for the next fortnight but still would like some advice on best action to take
    it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Member of the Nutters Club but I think I am just there to make up the numbers

Rary it’s not something I’ve ever done I keep watering my plants until I remove them from the GH.

So was wondering how many others withhold water from their Toms and does it work?
    Location....East Midlands.

Comment

My dad did it, albeit unintentionally. Last July (quite hot) his fancy automatic watering system for the roof terrace failed while my parents were on holiday. When they got back after 2 weeks everything had panic ripened, grapes were ready weeks early, tomatoes were all smallish but red & sweet (albeit on almost dead plants). A lot of things had died of course.

I realise that story doesn't really help... But I think in this case it was the combination of hot and no water which speeded up the ripening process. I'm not sure the result would have been the same in colder weather.
      Last edited by MelanieSW; 08-08-2020, 07:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bren In Pots View Post
        Rary it’s not something I’ve ever done I keep watering my plants until I remove them from the GH.

So was wondering how many others withhold water from their Toms and does it work?
        I have never tried it myself Bren but as we are into the second week of August and no tomatoes yet gives me some concern as the overnight temperature can drop quite a bit I have several plants (not in the greenhouse) showing effects of the cold and last year I had to pull quite a lot of tomatoes off my plants because it got too cold for them
        it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Comment

Sorry Rary cant help.
          Like Bren, I water mine until the plant gives up.
          I suppose you could try it with a few of your plants to see if it works.

And when your back stops aching,
          And your hands begin to harden.
          You will find yourself a partner,
          In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

When all the Toms are all of a reasonable size I remove all the leaves and leave the fruit to ripen, my dad did this every year, I am still getting good growth and mine are just ripening over here on the tropical East side of Scotland..........................................

Comment

They must have known I was thinking obout cutting the water off as I have 2 showing a change now great what a wee bit of encouragement does

Comment

Just found this really interesting article about ripening tomatoes.
                https://greenupside.com/why-are-my-t...s-to-speed-up/
                Nestled somewhere in the Cambridgeshire Fens. Good soil, strong winds and 4 Giant Puffballs! https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...lies/smile.gif
                Always aim for the best result possible not the best possible result
                https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...ilies/wink.gif
                Forever indebted to Potstubsdustbins https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...lies/smile.gif

Comment

Originally posted by rary View Post
                  They must have known I was thinking obout cutting the water off as I have 2 showing a change now great what a wee bit of encouragement does
                  If my plants are not behaving themselves, I find threatening them invariably works.
                  Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
                  Endless wonder.

Comment

Originally posted by mothhawk View Post

If my plants are not behaving themselves, I find threatening them invariably works.
                    Glad it’s not only me that talks to their plants

Location....East Midlands.

Comment

I’m watering the small plum shape tomatoes in pots,twice a day now,a few had BER,it’s been so dry & hot. I’m dreading a load of rain coming & splitting from swelling. I pinch the tips of the plants around end of August early September,when there’s enough flower/fruit trusses for the variety. If times getting on I start picking them when they just have a bit of colour & ripen indoors,then the plant ripens the next tomato & it goes faster so I’m not left with green tomatoes. I gradually remove the leaves too,any under the ripening trusses,cut on a dry day to help healing. I read using a red mulch helps ripening but I’ve never tried it. The heatwave has slowed the plants down but we usually have sun into October,there should be enough time for them

Comment

Originally posted by Bren In Pots View Post

Glad it’s not only me that talks to their plants
                        That's fine, the time to worry is when you hear them answering back

Comment

JJ 2 things that i have a problem with in your post, dry days are not that common and with that sunlight is quite limited

Comment

The rains good I’d like more it’s very rare here rary,I use tap water & try & let it sit in the can because it smells of chlorine. I remember a few years back a cloudy wet summer,I’d set the watering system up when we went away & it rained nearly everyday all day still quite a lot of time left for them,mine are outside till October

Comment

Aren't bananas supposed to give off a gas or pheramone that encourages other fruit to ripen. Maybe toss a few banana skins in the greenhouse and let them do thier thing. When they break down they also fertilise the soil nicely. I've shocked peppers and chillies into fruiting and ripening which seems preferable given thier short season. Tomatoes I've never really struggled with although in past years the outdpoor crop have been ahead or equal in first fruit. Perhaps having one in a pot to test stress next year for extra early fruit is an idea (if I can remember to do it of course).

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X