Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bramble
    replied
    I have to say all my tomatoes were great this year.
    Summer Cider were early for me ad well.
    Also got a great crop from Berkley Tye Dye, Orange Banana and Black Icicle.
    My first time growing all these varieties.

Leave a comment:

• MarkPelican
    replied
    It depends what you mean by "reducing watering". I water mine at most once a day (in the evening) into trays (I grow in MFBs). If there's any water in the tray it gets missed. I think the variety makes a bigger difference to how soon you get ripe fruit than almost anything else. My experience is that Potato Leafed Indeterminate varieties come first (this year Bloody Butcher, Quedlinger Fruhe Liebe and a potato leafed F2 from Mountain Magic), and Maskotka and Kibits Ukranian for the Determinate.

I've yet to see anything from most of the beefsteaks (except Summer Cider which seems to have been very early this year).

Weight of fruit much the same as normal.

Leave a comment:

• Jungle Jane
    replied
    Rary I find tomatoes grow fine without leaf shade,they can get greenback when they get too much light & heat I think,my tomatoes have never had a problem like that with the direct sun & it gets hot here in Essex. Peppers like a bit of leaf shade. A watched tomato never ripens

Leave a comment:

• BeatriceCallan
    replied
    When I had this problem a few years ago I tried a few methods. With a part of my tomatoes, I've cut all leaves and lifted only tomatoes. It was ripped in four days, a good result I think. The other part I stopped watering and it ripped in a week. Tomatoes that I left, as usual, were ripped in two weeks I think.

Leave a comment:

• Plot70
    replied
    It is the lack of aircraft trails in the sky.
    They were stopping global warming.
    This year is the first time I have had painful sun burn on the top of my head.
    The rest of me is not painful but the tan might cause mistakes if national security is involved.

Leave a comment:

• rary
    replied
    My tomatoes are slowly going red but having a look through some of the posts makes me wonder if I made a mistake removing some leaves earlier on as I am beginning to think the leaves help shade the fruits on very bright days and this year has been exceptionally good, so will do things a bit different next year especially as we will have more sunshine

Leave a comment:

• bikermike
    replied
    Originally posted by mothhawk View Post

If my plants are not behaving themselves, I find threatening them invariably works.
    You are Crowley from Good Omens AICM 5 courgettes
    https://goodomenslexicon.org/article...s-houseplants/

Leave a comment:

• ESBkevin
    replied
    Aren't bananas supposed to give off a gas or pheramone that encourages other fruit to ripen. Maybe toss a few banana skins in the greenhouse and let them do thier thing. When they break down they also fertilise the soil nicely. I've shocked peppers and chillies into fruiting and ripening which seems preferable given thier short season. Tomatoes I've never really struggled with although in past years the outdpoor crop have been ahead or equal in first fruit. Perhaps having one in a pot to test stress next year for extra early fruit is an idea (if I can remember to do it of course).

Leave a comment:

• Jungle Jane
    replied
    The rains good I’d like more it’s very rare here rary,I use tap water & try & let it sit in the can because it smells of chlorine. I remember a few years back a cloudy wet summer,I’d set the watering system up when we went away & it rained nearly everyday all day still quite a lot of time left for them,mine are outside till October

Leave a comment:

• rary
    replied
    JJ 2 things that i have a problem with in your post, dry days are not that common and with that sunlight is quite limited

Leave a comment:

• rary
    replied
    Originally posted by Bren In Pots View Post

Glad it’s not only me that talks to their plants
    That's fine, the time to worry is when you hear them answering back

Leave a comment:

• Jungle Jane
    replied
    I’m watering the small plum shape tomatoes in pots,twice a day now,a few had BER,it’s been so dry & hot. I’m dreading a load of rain coming & splitting from swelling. I pinch the tips of the plants around end of August early September,when there’s enough flower/fruit trusses for the variety. If times getting on I start picking them when they just have a bit of colour & ripen indoors,then the plant ripens the next tomato & it goes faster so I’m not left with green tomatoes. I gradually remove the leaves too,any under the ripening trusses,cut on a dry day to help healing. I read using a red mulch helps ripening but I’ve never tried it. The heatwave has slowed the plants down but we usually have sun into October,there should be enough time for them

Leave a comment:

• Bren In Pots
    replied
    Originally posted by mothhawk View Post

If my plants are not behaving themselves, I find threatening them invariably works.
    Glad it’s not only me that talks to their plants

Leave a comment:

• mothhawk
    replied
    Originally posted by rary View Post
    They must have known I was thinking obout cutting the water off as I have 2 showing a change now great what a wee bit of encouragement does

Leave a comment:

• peanut
    replied
    Just found this really interesting article about ripening tomatoes.
    https://greenupside.com/why-are-my-t...s-to-speed-up/

Leave a comment:

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
Working...
X