No shoots or roots on shallots

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No shoots or roots on shallots

I bought some packaged British shallots early this year from a supermarket (at a good price) and planted them out in the spring. Unfortunately they have not produced either roots or shoots. The bulbs are expanding some and I can see a few are splitting a little. I have seen posts of a similar nature where the response has been give it time, but these have been in a number of months. I can easily pull them out as no roots are present and cannot see any crawly things. Any suggestions.

Have a read of this, it might help https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...arket-shallots

Comment

I have found with garlic that it will not sprout until it had been cooled or even frozen.
      It sprouts pretty quickly in the fridge.
      I would guess that shallots are the same.
      Try buying some and splitting the bag and put half in the fridge and then plant a row of each and see how they go.
      Near Worksop on heavy clay soil

Comment

Were the deffo shallots and not eschallots?
        My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
        to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Thanks for your comments. They were labelled as shallots being the traditional round in shape, not the banana type which I find tend to soften quicker when pickled.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X