sweetcorn no ears

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sweetcorn no ears

My sweetcorn has grown well, it is about 4ft tall with side shoots from most leaf junctions, lots of good green groth but o cob developing.
    it has not been starved of water.
    I used chicken pellet manue as a dressing prior to planting.
    I am at a lose as to why this has happened.
    You grow it; I'l tell you how to cook it

Has the "flower" appeared at the top, mine are just appearing now, maybe a bit too early yet.

Comment

My cobs have only just appeared too so maybe yours are still on their way Ken the Chef?
      Shortie

"There are only two lasting bequests we can hope to give our children; one of these is roots, the other wings" - Hodding Carter

Comment

The male flowers at the top will appear first, then it will start actually producing pollen around a week later, then the silks from the cobs will poke their heads out a couple days after that.
        If the male flowers haven't even appeared yet then you've nothing to worry about.

Comment

Hi... not wanting to hijack your thread but I seem to have a similar sweetcorn problem...I'm growing F1 Swift...bout 120 plants, in successional sowings. Ground had manure feed etc. it is growing through Mypex and well watered. butternuts underneath. Seem to have 2 cobs per plant developing but loads(more than normal) of side shoots with sort of hermaphroditism thing going on they have just a deformed cob on top with male parts too. Seems a lot of plant for not much maize. I am tempted to cut them off as i have never seen a side shoot develop a proper cob before. Surly all this growth is just sapping the plants strength. Is this a good idea? anyone done this before? Also I would like to know if anyone has found this variety did similar thing? Thanks for your expertise in advance peeps.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X