No announcement yet.

How are everyone's squashes doing?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'd probably suspect nitrogen deficiency, too.
    My squash stayed in their initial pots too long, and were quite yellow when I planted them out, but recovered well after a week or two in the ground.
    Two plants I gave to a plot neighbour and which he planted in unimproved soil looked rather yellow for quite a while, too, although they're recovering now (presumably as the roots have spread further).

Comment

Mine are doing quite well now, specifically Uchiki Kuri and Crown Prince. My only Turks Turban has a fruit on it already but the plant looks like it is dying - I think it's being eaten by something but not sure what. It had some blackfly but ladybirds abound now - it was the healthiest and biggest but now is the smallest and poorest looking with most leaves part eaten -it's still growing though so hoping for a miracle.

Also lost one Uchiki Kuri - it was fine one day and the nexy all floppy like the stem had been cut (but it hadn't). It's on a new plot, so maybe there is something around. Should still have more than enough if the others 7 keep going (inc some Butternut).

Comment

I had a marrow and two turban plants left over.
        I planted them in clay with some not very well rotted manure over the soil.
        These are not as green as the others but the previous plot holder left a couple of bottles of grass greening fluid in the shed.
        This has twice the amount of nitrogen as tomato feed.
        I put some on and the plants are beginning to green up a bit more and are forming fruits all be it not as quick as the ones in the raised bed.
        Near Worksop on heavy clay soil

Comment

I think I have lost my Potiron and butternut squash to the intense sun last week.
          I've kept them in situ and crossed my fingers but I fear the worst. I suppose I'm hoping the growing tips might just defy the laws of physics
          "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

I had to water twice a day at times to keep mine going.

Comment

Originally posted by Plot70 View Post
              I had to water twice a day at times to keep mine going.
              I planted mine out during that hot period back in May, and I had to give them a good soak daily. They probably wanted it twice a day, seeing as they were always wilting by the time I watered them, but they coped.

Comment

The extra water did work for me and I have the crops to prove it.

Comment

My squash are still small,this ones thinking about climbing the beans,it’s blocked by the corn,they’re clever finding a space to grow

Click image for larger version

Name:	A76CABDE-A3E4-4E3D-8E58-0CCEF8928E4E.jpeg
Views:	220
Size:	849.8 KB
ID:	2501805

Comment

Went to the allotment to check on things today. My squash plants are even more triffid-like than before. I imagine they'll have annexed the entire plot by the end of August.
                    I checked on the fruit situation, and 4 have definitely set and are swelling nicely, and 3 more may have set, but it's too early to tell for certain.

The pink banana continue to produce masses of female flowers. If they taste as good as they are producing then this variety will definitely be a keeper.

I'm starting to worry I planted too many squash plants, though. In hindsight, 13 plants may have been too many. I planted plenty because I wasn't sure how well they'd do and wanted back-up. At this rate, though, I'll end up with well over my own weight in squash and will have no idea where to store them for the winter.

Comment

I'm starting to worry I planted too many squash plants, though. In hindsight, 13 plants may have been too many. I planted plenty because I wasn't sure how well they'd do and wanted back-up. At this rate, though, I'll end up with well over my own weight in squash and will have no idea where to store them for the winter. [/QUOTE]

At least you can store them over winter.

Comment

ameno - sounds like a good problem to have Congrats!

Comment

Originally posted by Ms-T View Post
                          At least you can store them over winter.
                          Year before last I had 26kg of squash and I didn't finish the last one until the beginning of March.
                          I think we'll need to eat them a little more often, and I'll have to hope they keep well into Spring (they were still good and firm come March before, so should last a good month or two longer, at least).
                          Probably need to give some away, too.

Still no idea where I'll store them if I get a bumper crop, though. I usually keep them in the conservatory, but there's usually only barely space for what I usually produce. Under stairs cupboard, maybe.
                          Last edited by ameno; 03-07-2020, 06:03 PM.

Comment

Under stairs is where i store mine..works well for me.

Comment

Well, I lost 1 uchiki kuri to ?slugs early on, the others seemed to ‘sit’ for a few weeks after planting, and have suddenly had a growth spurt this last week or so, with flowers and a couple of small fruit (nearly an inch across) now formed. I am hoping they will continue this new growth rate!

The jack be little haven’t really got going yet, still fairly small and no flowers yet. I might try a fertiliser boost over the weekend as they’re in soil rather than the muck heap the uchiki kuri are enjoying.

spaghetti squash are inbetween, just starting to grow more freely, and a few flowers appeared in last couple of days. Fingers crossed!

Comment

I have been harvesting my marrows from the top of my weed root cooker. The bottom heat got them through that nasty late frost.
                                Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF6106.JPG
Views:	197
Size:	206.2 KB
ID:	2501905

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...