How are everyone's squashes doing?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Plot70 View Post
    If anything I planted my squashes too close together but what I did find was that turban vines naturally grew mostly east and north and mowed down a row of onions.
    I measured them in wheel barrow loads.
    You can get them to grow what direction you want,the first true leaf points the direction it"™ll grow,mine were good growing over the lawn but one plant grew to the shed. I found this picture online that explains it,it"™s good when you know where they"™re heading.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jungle Jane View Post

You can get them to grow what direction you want,the first true leaf points the direction it"™ll grow,mine were good growing over the lawn but one plant grew to the shed. I found this picture online that explains it,it"™s good when you know where they"™re heading.

That's a great tip that is. I wouldn't have thought that was even a thing and mine defo went the wrong way this year. I.e all over the flower bed that I had allocated to my better half haha. She threatened to chop the plant down. Nearly had to ban her from the plot.

Comment

• Even if they start growing in the wrong direction, you can steer them in the right direction over the course of a few days.
        You can't bend the stem too far in one go or it'll snap, but you can move it by about 20-30 degrees at a time, and use a stick to hold it in place, then a couple days later it will be used to its new position and can be moved another 20-30 degrees, and so on until you have it growing in the direction you want.

Comment

• I steer them too by putting a stick beside the vine at each leaf joint so that it sweeps round in a curve.
          They mowed down the row of onions because there was not enough room to lay the vines out.
          I saved most of the onions but the flavor was not that good due to shading.
          Near Worksop on heavy clay soil

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse
          • rary
            Reply to Chitchat thread #24
            by rary
            Today, 12:41 PM
          • rary
            Reply to Heated mat for Tom's and chillies
            by rary
            I use a mix of six scoops of compost three scoops of sand/grit and two scoops of perlite,the quantity is unimportant as long as the ratio is the same, if for seeds I use this mix, if I am potting on I add some blood, fish and bone, along with a small quantity of chicken manure pellets
            ​ though...
            Today, 12:28 PM
          • Florence Fennel
            Reply to Chitchat thread #24
            by Florence Fennel
            Today, 12:02 PM

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X