How are everyone's squashes doing?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ameno View Post

There's no harm in just leaving them until the vines die off completely, as long as you get them in before the first frost.
    You don't need to be in too much hurry to eat them, either. They should keep until at least February, and the flavour usually improves with storage.
    I've grown a similar variety, the seeds of which were given to me as "blue pumpkins". I had assumed they were Crown Prince because the fruit looked exactly like these. They were very firm-fleshed, to the point of being difficult to cut up. but delicious when cooked and they lasted, as you say, well into the new year. Having left my saved seed too long and failing to grow any last year, I bought Crown Prince seed for this year. Either my previous ones were something other than Crown Prince, or this has been an exceptional year for me because these have just grown and grown, taking over far more space than my previous squash crops, almost to the point of being a nuisance. If anyone is aware of a blue winter squash that is almost identical to Crown Prince but has a somewhat more compact habit, I'd love to know about it.

Comment

I planted three courgettes in a 2x1 metre raised bed fertilised with chicken manure pellets and they have taken over the world. We can’t eat them all and we have been making new friends among our neighbours.we have also been donating to a food bank in our area. Despite giving most of them away we are still eating courgette every day!

Delta

Comment

I have one Courgette plant and zero fruits in the garden, in the greenhouse there seems to be a lack of male flowers, looks like I have two fruits so far, seems to be late this year, yet they were planted ages ago.

Comment

I have two Uchi Kuri squash
          They are bright orange right now, slowly turning to red.
          This is my first time to grow them.

And when your back stops aching,
          And your hands begin to harden.
          You will find yourself a partner,
          In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by burnie View Post
            I have one Courgette plant and zero fruits in the garden, in the greenhouse there seems to be a lack of male flowers, looks like I have two fruits so far, seems to be late this year, yet they were planted ages ago.
            The only time I have had crop failure it was due to a massive slug attack.
            My marrows have done well this year.
            The turban pumpkins went huge.
            Near Worksop on heavy clay soil

Comment

Say it quietly, but finally the butternuts are finally getting a wriggle on, found a couple of good sized ones and lots of flowers, I might have to thin the leaves a bit lol.

Comment

I have got four butternuts on two plants.
                They are not as productive as they need more heat than we got in the UK.

Comment

I have 2 butternuts , but they are only as big as my thumb

but i do have a few of theses
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by Ms-T; 04-09-2020, 01:51 PM.

Comment

I picked the first of our Crown Prince today. It was on a vine that was starting to die back. The rest are on vines that are still holding leaves, so I'll leave them a little longer. Popped this one on the scales and it weighed 10lbs 8.7 ozs, which is quite a good size for Crown Prince.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bonjour View Post
                      I picked the first of our Crown Prince today. It was on a vine that was starting to die back. The rest are on vines that are still holding leaves, so I'll leave them a little longer. Popped this one on the scales and it weighed 10lbs 8.7 ozs, which is quite a good size for Crown Prince.
                      That's not quite ripe yet (despite the fact that the vine was dying), so I wouldn't eat it yet. Give it at least a month in storage before eating.

Comment

• My turbans are loosing leaves close to the original roots but the vines have run out over a spare bed that had been manured and planted with a few spare plants that were not expected to do very much. The vines have nailed themselves into the spare bed even though it is badly contaminated with bind weed roots and have mostly crushed the bind weed and rooted into it. There are plenty of good green leaves further down the vines to support the ripening and keep the fruits fresh. I am leaving them on until we begin to get frost.
                        Last edited by Plot70; 07-09-2020, 01:22 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by ameno View Post

That's not quite ripe yet (despite the fact that the vine was dying), so I wouldn't eat it yet. Give it at least a month in storage before eating.
                          I'll leave it out on the patio table to get some sun for now. Early September does seem a bit early for harvest.

Comment

Beautiful, I love Crown Prince, mine didn’t germinate this year, ( last years seed), but definitely grow next year, flavour is amazing

Comment

• I have three Butternut squash and three cucumbers plants taking over a goodly section of my plot. No idea how many immature butternuts I have but I have spotted at least five among the foliage.
                              My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                              to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

You should enter that in the virtual vegetable show

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X