Moving climbing french beans

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moving climbing french beans

Probably a really stupid idea but I want to try to help an elderly couple who have been isolating. They want some climbing bean plants but have no means of transport to a garden centre. I have plants to spare but I have already planted them in the garden 10 days ago. They are only 4 inches high. What are the chances of the plants surviving if I dig them up, pot them up and later in the week deliver them to the couple. I don't want to do it if the plants will not contiue to grow as I don't want to disappoint them. They normally buy plants and not grow from seeds.

Give it a go and if by the end of the week the plants look as good as when you potted them up I can't see why they won't survive.
    Location....East Midlands.

Comment

That's really kind of you .
      I agree, dig them up, they'll probably be fine or if you have any seeds, there's still plenty of time to sow more and they'll be up in no time.
      Nestled somewhere in the Cambridgeshire Fens. Good soil, strong winds and 4 Giant Puffballs! https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...lies/smile.gif
      Always aim for the best result possible not the best possible result
      https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...ilies/wink.gif
      Forever indebted to Potstubsdustbins https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...lies/smile.gif

Comment

You can move most anything with enough rootball and plenty of aftercare.

A very kind jesture -go for it!
        "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

If they only went in 10 days ago then it should be fine. The roots probably haven't expanded all that far beyond the original rootball yet.

As a back-up, you could always sprout some seeds at home on damp kitchen roll. They should sprout in 2-4 days, and then you can plant a sprouted seed by each cane.

Comment

Just be quick about it. I have just moved some tomato plants for a friend who is new to gardening and had planted them too close together. Dig them up with a big root ball and potted them and they look fine. Gave them lots of water and didn’t let them dry out before I re potted them. They were about 18 ins high.
            Gardening requires a lot of water - most of it in the form of perspiration. Lou Erickson, critic and poet

Comment

Thanks for all the advice. I have unplanted them (i.e. dug them up) and repotted. 24 hours later they look OK. I will keep well watered in a shady spot to see what happens.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X