First early potatoes losing the race

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First early potatoes losing the race

In late march I planted some first early potatoes (Swift) and kept them covered in fleece until I was fairly certain the frost wouldn't get them.
    A few weeks later I planted a row of second earlies (Wilja) and two rows of maincrop (King Edward and Desiree).
    All bought from the same retailer.
    The second early and main crops are doing very well (particularly the King Edward) and many are about to flower with very strong dark green foliage.
    However the first earlies are half the size, no sign of flowers and the foliage is pale green and not as healthy looking.
    Have I done something wrong?

I doubt you did anything wrong, as long as they were certified seed potatoes, they should thrive, have you given them any water, I'm doing mine every couple of days and I have signs of flowers on mine(I would tell you what they are, but I can't remember......flippin' auld age lol.)

Comment

Mine haven’t even shown up yet!!
      He-Pep!

Comment

Mine are second earlies, Edzel Blue.
        No flowers on yet but they look healthy.
        Watering them ever few days.
        wait another few weeks and see how they go,

And when your back stops aching,
        And your hands begin to harden.
        You will find yourself a partner,
        In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

Do you think the first earlies might be nearly ready,the leaves will start yellowing & some leaves going a bit brown,where all the leaf nutrients have been used up by the potatoes. My maincrop plants look bigger than the first earlies,I think they grow a more vigorously than an early.

Comment

My Swift in the greenhouse never flowered but I've been eating them for weeks now. The Swift outdoors don't look as advanced as the Wiljas. My advice. Have a look. You might just get a pleasant surprise.

Comment

Swift naturally have pretty pale leaves. Mine certainly did last year. I think it's lack of other pigments in the leaves. Many potato varieties have red or purple pigments in the stems and leaves (even if the potato skins aren't red), and this makes the leaves appear darker green (they'll also end up having purple or pink flowers). Swift is one of the varieties which lacks these, however, so it only has chlorophyll and the leaves are a paler green as a result (and white flowers).

Comment

I seem to recall Swift is a variety that doesn't readily flower ?
                Last edited by Nicos; 31-05-2020, 03:16 AM.
                "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Have a furtle underneath, as others have said they could be ready.
                  Location ... Nottingham

Comment

Yes was just going to say the same. Have a furtle.

Comment

You've got us all wondering now!.... anything there?
                      "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Sounds like they're doing fine.

"Swift produce almost no berries and the flowers, if there are any at all, are very small. The plants are short, even at their largest, which makes them better than most at withstanding strong winds."

From https://www.gardenfocused.co.uk/vege...iety-swift.php

Comment

I planted swift like you but also some rocket. The rocket have far more foliage than the swift and it is the first time I have grown the swift. They don't seem to have recovered properly after one particular hard frost we had here about 13 May. All the potatoes had brown bits even though covered with fleece. I was thiinking of investigating them in a couple of weeks time but likely will start with the rocket.

Comment

I went down to the allotment today but didn't give the Swifts a "furtle". I've only got five plants and will give them another couple of weeks. The allotment is new to me and I guess the previous tenant liked potatoes (and mint) as they are popping up all over the site, despite my winter dig. On the plus side the spinach is doing exceptionally well and the wife says it tastes so much better than the supermarket bagged type.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X