Too late to sow leeks?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Too late to sow leeks?

Hello All, is it too late to sow leeks or do I need to brave the garden centre queue and buy more?
    Thanks

You have lost almost half of the year, I'm sure you would get something, but even with a full growing season some of my leeks have in the past resembled pencils lol. I have some growing now that are going to need thinning and transplanting, so why not try and see how it goes, I might be tempted to get some plants as well, if they can be got without too much trouble.

Comment

Thanks Bernie. Off to the garden centre it is then!

Comment

We put some in late last year and they made lovely plants, smaller than full grown but tender and tasty.
        Location ... Nottingham

Comment

Mine always go in late, I seem to forget them. However they usually do okay and don't run to seed. I only finished eating last years a few weeks ago.

Comment

Yes its too late, but if you already have the seeds you have nothing to lose by sowing them!

I would be tempted to give it a try.
            My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
            to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

I sowed some more yesterday, nothing to lose.
              Nestled somewhere in the Cambridgeshire Fens. Good soil, strong winds and 4 Giant Puffballs! https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...lies/smile.gif
              Always aim for the best result possible not the best possible result
              https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...ilies/wink.gif
              Forever indebted to Potstubsdustbins https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...lies/smile.gif

Comment

Pretty sure I didn't sow mine until at least mid-May, maybe later, year before last, and I still got a fairly decent crop.
                It probably does depend how mild your autumns and winters are, though. Where I am, the first frost isn't usually until at least mid-November, and winter as a whole is pretty mild, so the leeks will continue to slowly growing all through the winter. In a cold area, though, once November starts that's it, they won't get any bigger.

Comment

I've got leek seeds that say sow in May on the packet. Might as well try.

Comment

There are different types of leeks and yours might do OK if we get their ideal conditions.
                    if you have space, chuck them in!
                    "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

I resowed some the other day as the first lot (only 1 year old seed) didn't germinate too well. I usually sow mine in May anyway due to lack of propagator space earlier in the year. I've also found that early sowings tend to bolt.
                      A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X