Collapse

This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prepare my "squash ridge": turn out the year-old compost bin to make a ridge, then cover it with last years dug-out greenhouse bed.

Up against a south-facing wall should support courgettes, butternut and kabocha. Plant them out in a few days.
    I live in a part of the UK with very mild winters. Please take this into account before thinking "if he is sowing those now...."

Comment

• Friday jobs
      Plan April sowings - done
      Sow flower seeds (Calendula, Antirrhinum), beetroot - done except beetroot
      Take peas to allotment - done
      Mow lawns if dry - done
      Weeding - done some
      Watering - done
      Harvest lettuce, baby spinach, rhubarb - done except rhubarb

Also trimmed some grass edges at allotment and brought a pot of compost in to warm for cucumber

Weekend jobs

At my friend's
      Take lettuces to greenhouse
      Tidy up in greenhouse
      Weeding

At allotment
      Plant Desiree potatoes
      Plant out 2nd lot of peas
      Weeding
      Watering
      Trim more grass edges
      Harvest romanesco, leeks, rhubarb

At home
      Sow early cucumber, beetroot
      Rearrange plants under lights
      Decide if and how to protect apricot tree from frost
      Weeding
      Watering
      Harvest carrots
      Last edited by Penellype; 03-04-2021, 08:40 AM.
      A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

• Originally posted by quanglewangle View Post
        Prepare my "squash ridge": turn out the year-old compost bin to make a ridge, then cover it with last years dug-out greenhouse bed.

Up against a south-facing wall should support courgettes, butternut and kabocha. Plant them out in a few days.
        Done
        I live in a part of the UK with very mild winters. Please take this into account before thinking "if he is sowing those now...."

Comment

• Weekend jobs

At my friend's
          Take lettuces to greenhouse - done
          Tidy up in greenhouse - done some
          Weeding - done some

Also planted a couple of buckets of potatoes and covered with plastic.

At allotment
          Plant Desiree potatoes - done
          Plant out 2nd lot of peas - done
          Weeding - done some
          Watering - done
          Trim more grass edges - no
          Harvest romanesco, leeks, rhubarb - done plus lettuce and spinach

Also put up a net windbreak to shelter the peas from the northerly blast and covered some of the strawberries with plastic sheet to protect from frost.

At home
          Sow early cucumber, beetroot - done cucumber
          Rearrange plants under lights - done
          Decide if and how to protect apricot tree from frost - tried but decided the wind and cover combination would do more damage than the frost
          Weeding - done some
          Watering - done
          Harvest carrots - done

Also moved some of the strawberries with flower buds under cover.

Monday jobs (weather permitting)
          Check for wind damage
          Sow beetroot
          Weeding
          Trim grass edges at allotment
          Harvest leeks, carrots, lettuce, spinach

A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

• Monday jobs (weather permitting)
            Check for wind damage - done
            Sow beetroot - no
            Weeding - no - too cold
            Trim grass edges at allotment - no, ditto
            Harvest leeks, carrots, lettuce, spinach - done

Decided I would rather stay inside today as although it looks gorgeous out there in the sunshine, it is vey cold and keeps snowing.

Comment

• I’ve got about 75 tomato seedlings to pot on,I’ve just washed about 30 pots to get started but I might use the pots for some sweet peas & nasturtiums too

Comment

• Originally posted by Jungle Jane View Post
                I’ve got about 75 tomato seedlings to pot on
                Seventy-five? Are you in hock to the mafia tinned tomato syndicate?

I'm growing six and we usually give away loads of fruit

Comment

• Hope to get the compost turned today. Intended to do it yesterday but my lotty neighbour put in a rare appearance and was already working her plot just downwind from my compost bay. I didn't think it would be fair and neighbourly to swamp her in compost steam.
                  Location ... Nottingham

Comment

• Potted up some more chillies into final pots and potted on half the tomatoes into half litre old yoghurt pots, they will go direct into the greenhouse soil after this move in a month or so .

Comment

• I was intending to dig out the Rosa Rugosa.

Dug through water pipe!

Big flood. Found stop cock. Local hardware store gave me 10 minute plumbing course and supplied a stop-end

Waiting for real plumber.

Bah!

Comment

• ^ Ouch,, commiserations QW.
                        Hope to top another couple of beds with compost. Won't take long but the 12x6 finishing bay is piling high and could do with making a bit of space.
                        Location ... Nottingham

Comment

• Originally posted by quanglewangle View Post
                          I was intending to dig out the Rosa Rugosa.

Dug through water pipe!

Big flood. Found stop cock. Local hardware store gave me 10 minute plumbing course and supplied a stop-end

Waiting for real plumber.

Bah!
                          Not good. I hope you get it sorted quickly.

Comment

• Nothing much happening since Monday due to a combination of freezing cold weather and loads to do at work requiring me to be at the computer. Unlikely to be much better in either respect over the weekend.

Have harvested rhubarb, PSB, carrots, lettuce and spinach, opened the covers when sunny and kept most things watered.

Weekend jobs

At my friend's
                            Check peas for germination
                            Water peas and lettuces in greenhouse (if still alive)

At allotment
                            Open and shut covers
                            Watering
                            Harvest PSB, lettuce, spinach

At home
                            Open and shut covers
                            Watering
                            Check sowing list, sow peas and anything else desperate
                            Harvest carrots

Comment

• Originally posted by Penellype View Post

Not good. I hope you get it sorted quickly.
                              Thanks, yes all OK.

I'm a theoretician and a bit of a duffer in practical matters but it's close-knit here: neighbours had stop-cock key, and hardwear/builders merchant took time show me how to cap the end. Turns out it's only the garden supply so we still have water.

Plumber was here quickly and said my stop-end would last until he got back to do a proper job.

Comment

• Take a temp reading of the latest compost batch started on Thursday and aerate it. This will be it's first turn and the first one is usually an unpleasantly smelly and steamy job.
                                Location ... Nottingham

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X