Tomato likes and dislikes 2020

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tomato likes and dislikes 2020

A new thread for tomato growers to post their likes and dislikes.
    Here's a link to the old thread, which will be archived to keep the information
    https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...ikes-2015-2020

I have been growing tomatoes for several years now.
    Being a member of the seed swop I got the opportunity to try out some varieties I wouldnt normally buy..
    Like is a matter of personal taste but for me it will always be Sungold. Black Cherry and, Maskotka,
    for the larger tomato I like Shirley, Alicante and Ferline.

And when your back stops aching,
    And your hands begin to harden.
    You will find yourself a partner,
    In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

I have a sweet tooth, so sungold and sweet aperitif for me. I am trying several new ones following the seed swap last year so will be posting my deliberations later in the year. I don't really like tomatoes based on shop brought but am discovering a new appreciation for them as home-grown.
      V.P.
      The thing I grow best are very large slugs!

Comment

Growing black icicle, sungold, green grape, Shirley and gardeners delight. Mainly in the gh with a few spares outside. All good so far, planted them a bit later this year ( Feb) which doesn’t seem to have impacted much on when I get a crop. Furthest on is Shirley which has marble sized tomatoes.

Comment

This year I am growing Marmande, Rosa de Barbastro, and San Marzano Redorta - all lovely larger meaty-types for sauces, salsa, salads. The SMR plants look a bit ropey this year, whereas all the others are stocky - may need to get some new seed for next year as it was a BIT old. Fruit on the Marmande already!

I like to try new things , so the new ones are Bumblebee Pink & Bumblee Purple. I tried Artisan Pink Tiger last year (same seed developer) and loved it, so I wanted to try something different for my cherries They seem keen to go: lots of flowers and some fruits. I just wanted a change from my usual Sungold & Sweet Aperitif (which are both excellent).

I just planted them out into the greenhouse this past weekend (fingers crossed).

Comment

I'm growing some self saved seed of a variety called Pineapple.
            They are stripy orange , at least as big as your fist and quite sweet.
            Not grown them before so it should be interesting.
            "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Sungold for the PT.
              Mountain Magic for outside, they're blight resistant, reasonable tasting and are quite firm so have good shelf life after picking.
              Trying Big Daddy beef tom this year.
              Location ... Nottingham

Comment

Originally posted by burnie View Post
                A new thread for tomato growers to post their likes and dislikes.
                Here's a link to the old thread, which will be archived to keep the information
                https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...ikes-2015-2020
                Would it be interesting to separate the likes and dislikes - I'm interested in dislikes and they always get buried under likes?
                To see a world in a grain of sand
                And a heaven in a wild flower

Comment

I would think likes and dislikes will be a matter of personal taste but it will be interesting.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

I grew Latah this year for the first time and it was delicious! Sweet, soft skin and very juicy. It's a super early variety (first outdoor tomatoes right at the end of June) which was lucky because it meant I still managed to get some tomatoes this year before the blight came and wiped out everything. Didn't even get a single tomato from 3 other varieties.

Comment

There are two tomatoes that I wont be growing next year.
                      Goldkrone, tons of cherry Tom's but extremely bland.

Blush, long straggly foliage with a kind of eggdhaped fruit.
                      It took a long time to ripen and really tasteless.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

We're not raw tomato fans but we love Costuluto tomatoes - amazing flavour and flesh for pasta sauces and homemade tomatoe sauce
                        Shortie

"There are only two lasting bequests we can hope to give our children; one of these is roots, the other wings" - Hodding Carter

Comment

San Marzano is cropping very well this year compared with other years. It tastes better than tinned tomatoes and will work in a salad as well. Indigo Rose doing very well and has a nice smoky taste if it hasn't gone over ripe. Excelent snacking tomato. Both these are now in their third year of saved seeds. Sweet Million (an F1) makes tasty, sweet!!! salad tomatoes, but isn't doing quite as well this year. Cuor Di Bue and Super Sauce (F1), both seem to be very attractive to snails, but don't really have a lot of taste for humans. They're getting chucked into stews and bolognaises. Tigerella seedlings were grown, from a gift. But, having read reviews of them, they weren't potted on...
                          Last edited by Mark Rand; 08-08-2020, 11:37 PM.
                          Location:- Rugby, Warwckshire on Limy clay (within sight of the Cement factory)

Comment

Black Cherry and Sweet Aperitif did really well for me this year.
                            I was also very impressed with Berkley Tye Die, lovely flavour and full of juice.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

I'd love to join in this conversation but my all tomatoes are still green, one day I'll be able to enjoy a ripe tomato before the end of August, one day...
                              Nestled somewhere in the Cambridgeshire Fens. Good soil, strong winds and 4 Giant Puffballs! https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...lies/smile.gif
                              Always aim for the best result possible not the best possible result
                              https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...ilies/wink.gif
                              Forever indebted to Potstubsdustbins https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...lies/smile.gif

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X