Tomato likes and dislikes 2020

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by peanut View Post
    I'd love to join in this conversation but my all tomatoes are still green, one day I'll be able to enjoy a ripe tomato before the end of August, one day...
    Peanut, of course you will. Never say never.. I am sure it will be well worth the wait.
    Let us know when you harvest the first ripe ones

And when your back stops aching,
    And your hands begin to harden.
    You will find yourself a partner,
    In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by bramble View Post

Peanut, of course you will. Never say never.. I am sure it will be well worth the wait.
      Let us know when you harvest the first ripe ones
      Let you know?!!...I'll be putting a double page announcement in The Times!
      Nestled somewhere in the Cambridgeshire Fens. Good soil, strong winds and 4 Giant Puffballs! https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...lies/smile.gif
      Always aim for the best result possible not the best possible result
      https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...ilies/wink.gif
      Forever indebted to Potstubsdustbins https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...lies/smile.gif

Comment

Black cherry is my favourite tom I rarely leave the GH without eating one.
        Location....East Midlands.

Comment

I've grown British Breakfast again, last year most of them were cooked as they look like those you get in a tin shape, but they are lovely with a salad too, I shall grow these again, quite prolific too.

Comment

Does anyone place bananas with their tomato plants to speed up ripening? A friend has advised me to do this, has anyone else tried it?

I have just put a few around my plants today. I will keep you posted.

Cheers, Bob.

Comment

Originally posted by zobobobo View Post
              Does anyone place bananas with their tomato plants to speed up ripening? A friend has advised me to do this, has anyone else tried it?

I have just put a few around my plants today. I will keep you posted.

Cheers, Bob.
              Welcome Bob, bananas are often used to ripen fruits as the gas the give off seems to work on them, it is not usually done whilst they are still on the plant, not something I have tried before. Are your plants indoors, if so they will benefit from the warmer weather, if they are outside then the bananas are not likely to have any effect.

Comment

Hi Bob, yes, I have heard of some peeps doing this.
                Putting the banana skins on the branch of the plant.
                Dont know if it works as I never tried it.
                Like Burnie said, ethaline gas is released from bananas so speeds up the ripening process.%/

And when your back stops aching,
                And your hands begin to harden.
                You will find yourself a partner,
                In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

Got tomatoes from all 5 of my varieties this year. Favourite green grape, followed by black icicle.

Comment

Originally posted by annie8 View Post
                    Got tomatoes from all 5 of my varieties this year. Favourite green grape, followed by black icicle.
                    The problem I always have with Green Grape is working out when they're ripe. I find they're "mushy" when overripe and bitter when underripe.

Brown Berry is my favourite cherry at the moment but they all seem to be tasty this year.

Comment

I'd like to be able to join in, but unfortunately all of my tomatoes this year are unknown varieties.
                      Two grew from seeds from the compost bin, so will be from shop-bought varieties (one seems to be a salad type, and the other a large pink cherry), and the other six are from seed saved from my Mountain Magic plant last year, but as other's here predicted, they did not come even slightly true from seed. Two seem fairly similar to Mountain Magic (large cherry/small salad tomato), but two somehow turned out as cherry plums, on a more normal-sized salad tomato, and one a very lobed salad tomato (golf ball sized but with the shape of a beefsteak tomato).
                      All the Mountain Magic offspring taste good, mind. The volunteers aren't quite ripe yet.

Comment

Have grown Shirley tomToes for a few years and always found it reliable. The skins on my Shirley’s this year are really rough this year - see attached. None of my other varieties are doing this. Might try another kind next year. Click image for larger version

Name:	95EA5BEC-8586-48A4-B292-66D067B0C728.jpeg
Views:	259
Size:	79.4 KB
ID:	2506848

Comment

I have around 15 varieties but only one has ripened so far.
                          I bought it as a novelty, yellow outer and red inner like a pink grapefruit. I had the first on Monday, no great hope but was taken aback. Sweet, firm flesh and a full tomatoey taste. I even like it as much as my favourite Ailsa Craig.
                          It will be on the list next year without a doubt.
                          Nearly forgot, Zlatava.

Comment

I have an announcement to make...I HAVE RIPE TOMATOES!!!
                            Black Cherry is the first to ripen. Sweet and juicy, delicious.
                            The rest hopefully won't be too far behind.
                            Nestled somewhere in the Cambridgeshire Fens. Good soil, strong winds and 4 Giant Puffballs! https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...lies/smile.gif
                            Always aim for the best result possible not the best possible result
                            https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...ilies/wink.gif
                            Forever indebted to Potstubsdustbins https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...lies/smile.gif

Comment

My tommies are doing well this year, but I do seem to have a lot of the Red Plum ones splitting, all the others seem ok, the split taste just fine, just don't look so smart.

Comment

Originally posted by peanut View Post
                                I have an announcement to make...I HAVE RIPE TOMATOES!!!
                                Black Cherry is the first to ripen. Sweet and juicy, delicious.
                                The rest hopefully won't be too far behind.
                                Black cherry are my all time favourite .
                                Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X