No announcement yet.

Water Butt article in Grow it-concern!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Goldfish what a great idea! I like that idea, I will get a water butt I think when I get another shed and will attach it to that!

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
      ................. goldfish do the job. I've had 3 in my butts for 4 years now...............
      Whatever turns you on I spose!
      My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
      to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Bet they tickle!
        Copper doesn't just kill fungi however. Geologists prospect for copper by looking for clearings in forests. They are known as Copper Clearnings as the copper-bearing rocks underneath kill off all the vegetation.
        Not in my back yard!
        Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

I more concerned that TS has more than one butt, personally...

I wonder if this is why my kohl rabi didn't germinate. there is some sort of fungal infection in that seed tray (I re-used compost). I take it I just have to start again and use clean compost and trays? What should I do with the infected stuff? Can't really add it to the heap!

Comment

I would burn the infected stuff and disinfect the trays too and all tools that you have used when you did the infected stuff.

Comment

Depends what it is infected with... I am certain I have read that seed trays etc should be cleaned thoroughly but no need to go to extremes even if you had had damping off (e.g. wash in weak bleach solution should be plenty good enough).

Personally, I would add the compost to the heap / bin, since you wouldn't be using home compost to grow seedlings in and damping off doesnt affect established plants as far as I know.

(But don't quote me, I'm no expert by any means at all!)
              Warning: I have a dangerous tendency to act like I know what I'm talking about.

Comment

Originally posted by darkangel6976 View Post
                We have baths placed all over the allotment and if you take water it fills it up again but I have noticed a few of them are partly covered up so I wonder if this is to keep out sunlight so it slows down the spread of infections. I think I will do this with my bath too. I have also seen some water butt cleaner that you're supposed to use once a year but as mine isn't a water butt and only a bath that has guttering leading into it from my shed roof then I'm not sure if I need that yet!
                If I get a water butt then I will think about this and the copper pipe.

Thanks for all your replies!
                I would think the baths are covered up for safety in case of children being around the allotments - possibly also to keep animals away from the water.

I never knew kept rainwater wasn't suitable for seedlings but I believe tap water 'should' be kept for 24 hours before using on seeds/plants, as this allows the chlorine to dissolve away or dissipate in some way and this means it's considered purer.

I say 'should' as I'm not sure where I've heard this or how true it is.
                Last edited by maytreefrannie; 29-10-2008, 10:32 AM.
                My hopes are not always realized but I always hope (Ovid)

www.fransverse.blogspot.com

www.franscription.blogspot.com

Comment

Goldfish in the water butt now there's an idea my son works in a pet shop so should be able to get some and my daughter keeps saying she wants some and we wont let her have any !!!
                  Gardening ..... begins with daybreak
                  and ends with backache

Comment

Two sheds. If you have gold fish in the water butt does that mean you dont have a lid on it? What happens in winter?
                    Last edited by Catrina; 29-10-2008, 11:28 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Catrina View Post
                      What happens in winter?
                      Instead of goldfish, you get coldfish

"Orinoco was a fat lazy Womble"

Please ignore everything I say, I make it up as I go along, not only do I generally not believe what I write, I never remember it either.

Comment

Originally posted by maytreefrannie View Post
                        I believe tap water 'should' be kept for 24 hours before using on seeds/plants, as this allows the chlorine to dissolve away or dissipate in some way and this means it's considered purer.

I say 'should' as I'm not sure where I've heard this or how true it is.
                        Chlorine will evaporate if you let the water stand for a while - how long depends on the volume / surface area of the water but 24 hours is what is usually recommended. Mind you, I know this from fishkeeping, not gardening, no idea about the effect of watering seedlings with chlorinated tapwater. I guess chlorine might well upset a sensitive wee plant, but having said that the concentrations are pretty low in tap water, aren't they? High enough to upset a fish, I guess... although I think that is more because it kills off the bacteria that process fish waste, and the fish can then end up being poisoned by their own poo... Straying off the topic, me?
                        Last edited by Demeter; 29-10-2008, 08:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
                          As for butt-cleaner ... goldfish do the job. I've had 3 in my butts for 4 years now, they're perfectly happy, and keep the mozzy larvae down.
                          I like fish Plus, they (together with friendly bacteria which break down fish waste) will produce good fertiliser - their water will become nitrate rich over time...

But what about winter? What about drought? Do you feed them as well, or do they survive happily on algae and mozzy larvae and such alone? How much care do they require through the year?

Comment

Off on a tangent I admit....but why is water that has filtered through rocks for hundreds of years need a shelf life once bottled??
                            Geordie

Te audire non possum. Musa sapientum fixa est in aure

Comment

Originally posted by Geordie View Post
                              Off on a tangent I admit....but why is water that has filtered through rocks for hundreds of years need a shelf life once bottled??
                              might have something to do with the bottle leaching chemicals into the water as it degrades. mmmmm yum yum!
                              Kernow rag nevra

Some people feel the rain, others just get wet.
                              Bob Dylan

Comment

Originally posted by kernowyon View Post
                                might have something to do with the bottle leaching chemicals into the water as it degrades. mmmmm yum yum!
                                No, it's simply that nothing is allowed to be sold without a sell-by date, these days.
                                Sent from my pc cos I don't have an i-phone.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X