No announcement yet.

When is my Yacon ready ?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have finally tried a couple of the smallest tubers. I peeled them and the flesh was translucent. It was crunchy and mildly sweet - not bad. Apparently it is good for diabetics (of which I am one) as the body cannot absorb its sugars. I have seen it sold on the internet in syrup and powder form as well as dried chips in muesli. I am thinking of saving the largest tuber to plant next summer and drying a couple and eating the rest as a fruity snack.

Comment

Woofster, I think the tubers to plant for next year are the small ones at the base of the stem that have growing points. These are like the ones I was sent from Real Seeds last year. The large dahlia looking types are the storage tubers for eating. They don't seem to have any growing points.
      I could not live without a garden, it is my place to unwind and recover, to marvel at the power of all growing things, even weeds!
      Now a little Shrinking Violet.

http://potagerplot.blogspot.com/

Comment

So, would anyone recommend growing them next year? Was thinking of growing some next year (that is if I can get my hands on any), but seem expensive, so not going to bother if they aren't worth it.

Steven
        http://www.geocities.com/nerobot/Bir...shingThumb.jpg

Comment

I had never heard of it before but am interested as the mother in law is diabetic but insists on her sugar in her tea. May buy some powder to see if I can get her to change.

Ian

Comment

I haven't decided whether to give it space next year or not. I only have one tuber to eat, and I'm leaving that for a while, as it's said to increase the sweetness if it's stored a while. If it does, I will put some in, but start them off earlier than last year in the hopes of getting a higher yield. Also the flowers were small and colourful, but cut down by the frost almost as soon as they started.
            That said, I ordered 5 tubers for £15, but they got squashed in the post, so only 3 grew, making them £5 each. For what I got this year, not worth it, but they have produced a number of tubers to grow on next year, so if you like them, once you got them you will be OK for replanting material in future years, you will not need to keep buying again.
            I could not live without a garden, it is my place to unwind and recover, to marvel at the power of all growing things, even weeds!
            Now a little Shrinking Violet.

http://potagerplot.blogspot.com/

Comment

Thanks, BarleySugar, for pointing out that it is the smaller tubers I should keep to plant out. The reason I thought it should be a big one is that the tuber I was sent by a company called Edulis was pretty large (and it cost £12 !). I am going to do a bit more research on the internet, as well, to make sure.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X