Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tomatoes STILL green - will they eventually redden?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've yet to taste an Alicante - still all green in Abersoch (North Wales)... Had one cherry belle, and sent husband home to Liverpool with some plum shaped ones called Dasher. Had a few cherry belle in Liverpool last week (4 I think) but nothing else ripe there when we left on Sat (30 August).

Will ask husband for report when I speak to him. (I'm staying on in Wales to keep an eye on the acidanthera flowers which are just about to open - never grew them before. Bit off topic there as they are merely ornamental, but am excited about the buds about to open.)

And hoping to see somemore ripening tomatoes here, but weather rather changeable (to put it mildly!) so will just have to see how they go... At least the courgettes are still producing! ;-)

Comment

I'm growing Tigerella and San Marzano in a greenhouse, got a few ripening Tigerellas (scoffed on the spot with the help of some Basil leaves) , heavy crop of Sans but no red ones yet ! Looks like chutney instead of pasta sauce this year !

Comment

I've had a small tumbling toms from baskets but I've got harbinger, moneymaker, marmande and gardener's delight all very green.

Sowed a little late due to the first lot getting sun scorch, everyone on here reassured me late sowings would catch up....

Comment

Harvested my first cherry tomatoes of this year, very happy!

TGR
          TGR

Comment

Mine are still green, I've had four small toms so far. And I'm pretty far north! I'm away this weekend, but when Iget back on Monday, I've got four plants with loads of flowers but not a tomato in sight. So i think I'll just dump them, as no toms are going to grow now.
            ~
            Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn't know that so it goes on flying anyway.
            ~ Mary Kay Ash

Comment

The only ripe tomatoes I've had so far have been tumblers which have been great but I've got Italian plum, Tamina, Gardeners' Delight & about 3 other varieties I can't remember right now which are steadfastly remaining green! Trouble is there are a few 'dodgy' blight-affected looking leaves around which I keep pulling off which so far haven't taken a hold, hope to get some ripe fruits before the plants collapse!
              Into every life a little rain must fall.

Comment

I'm in London, and I have yet to see a red tomato. I'm growing a variety of cherry tomatoes in pots outdoors, with lots of bunches of green fruit. I've been watching them closely for the past three weeks and I'd swear they've stopped growing. Should I bring them indoors (pot and all) to ensure they're red before the frost or blight gets them?

Comment

Most of my tom's are green so i donated them to my lovely mum who's made load's of tomato chutney for us, mmm.
                  Live long and prosper.

http://s177.photobucket.com/albums/w213/jojo333_photos/

Comment

Okay - September in Essex, nothing but rain, tomatoes still green!
                    what will I do with them if they don't go red?
                    I have put some in a large egg box with one ripe tomato and shut the lid, this does seem to work?
                    But what do I do with the ones that don't go red - hubby doesn't like chutney or fried tomatoes!!!!!

Comment

We started harvesting our Moneymaker Toms about two weeks ago here down in the South. But it is very slow. However, this year....compared to other years I seem to have more toms on the plants and they look so beautiful and healthy...all shiny and green, so I have taken a few pics to remind me during the winter months. I'm going to try fried green tomatoes as well.

Comment

i've had a couple of dozen tomatoes so far this year, from 6 plants - dismal
                        i know one variety was moneymaker .....
                        http://MeAndMyVeggies.blogspot.com

Comment

My four tomato plants are in the sunniest part of a south-facing garden, and are still mostly green - I've picked a dozen or so fruit in total so far. I've been picking them as soon as they are orange all over and finishing them off in the conservatory, in the hope that this encourages the plants to put more effort into the ones that are left!

Comment

My greenhouse ones have done really well - loads of Gardeners Delight & Sungold despite a late start. The SubArctic Plenty on the lottie were looking really good and starting to ripen when they got BLIGHT!!! Picked all the good green ones and turned them into chutney.

Comment

Originally posted by sallym View Post
                              Grown Ildi, a yellow cherry tomato, for the first time this year. They are absolutely delish! So proud of them that i have been giving them to all the neighbours just to show off how clever I am. Problem? Where's my glut? How an I gonna make all these Chutneys and Relishes? Just hope some of my other plants produce some tasty toms later. Duh!

I grew them too, theyre brill! definitely a 'keeper' (and they look cute too )

Comment

I've just picked all the ripe ones off my plants - all straight in the compost cos they've split massively (I blame the torrential rain!) So now I've nowt but green ones too...

And an arm fell off one of the plants too. I hung it upside down in my hallway hoping the green ones would ripen but they seem to be falling off before they ripen.

It's all a bit disheartening, but I can see that the green ones still on the plant look healthy and whole, and I don't have blight (touch wood!!) so I'm trying to look on the bright side!
                                Last edited by Demeter; 07-09-2008, 06:27 PM.
                                Warning: I have a dangerous tendency to act like I know what I'm talking about.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X