Letting things go to seed....

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Letting things go to seed....

Hi, I'm really confused about how to let things go to seed. i understand how to do it with things like beans and peas, because you just let the pods dry and then open them and there you have it. but with things like carrots, lettuce, onions, herbs, and pretty much everything else, i don't understand how you would harvest the seeds, because surely they'd be in the soil??

obviously the money saving element of growing your own stuff is lessened if you have to buy loads of new seeds every year, so i really wanted to let one or two of everything i grow go to seed so that i can use the seeds next year.
    thanks in advance
    xxxx

Liz, the plants you mention would produce flowers which would go on to produce the seed. Seeds dont form in the soil. Your beans and peas will start by flowering and from those flowers will be produced the seed(bean or pea) pods. Try letting a raddish plant go to seed, you'll get enough seed to feed all your family.
    I you'st to have a handle on the world .. but it BROKE!!

Comment

I let my coriander go to seed, then used the seeds in cooking. They gave a much fresher taste than when I use coriander seeds bought from the supermarket in a jar. (probably cos they are fresh!! LOL )

Comment

Just be aware that if you keep seeds from F1 hybrids you WON'T get plants the same as the parent.

Having said that, you may get a new variety.........look at the Bramley Seedling apple for instance!
        My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
        to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

How do you know if what you've bought is a hybrid? Or are most common plants hybrids?

So if I capture some seeds from my basil plant, in other words - and sow them will the basil be a different variety?

Comment

Originally posted by chrismarks View Post
            How do you know if what you've bought is a hybrid? Or are most common plants hybrids?

So if I capture some seeds from my basil plant, in other words - and sow them will the basil be a different variety?
            It will be marked on the seed packet if they are F1's and they'll probably all mature on the same day!

I don't think there are any F1 herbs so you should be ok?
            My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
            to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Originally posted by Liz 89 View Post
              i don't understand how you would harvest the seeds, because surely they'd be in the soil?
              er, no.
              Exactly as someone else said, let a plant like lettuce or radish go to flower and you will see for yourself what happens. A big long flower spike, which will be smothered in bees, and will then dry up and drop seed onto the ground.
              All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X