No announcement yet.

Win a gardening gift voucher with GYO magazine and Thompson & Morgan

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I bundle up all my bamboo canes & get them out of the ground so they don't rot. I tie them together, then lash them horizontally onto the shed wall (outside or inside). The bundles provide winter accomodation for hibernating insects.
    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

The shed gets very crowded in the winter, so I have a good clear-out in the autumn. Anything that isn't already in use (pots, fleece etc) are given away ruthlessly, to make space for all my canes.

I also stock up on supplies like cup a soups and biccies!
      All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Sow grass seed in Autumn to make maintainable paths next year. Any cheap seed will do fine. The seed will germinate before the cold weather starts and the limited use of the allotment means you aren't walking on the immature shoots as much as in spring. Next year you won't get muddy shoes or weeds and by mowing the grass you get an extra volume of greens for the compost bin. You can almost claim to be cultivating every square inch of your plot!
        http://plot62.blogspot.com/

Comment

I've managed to get my hands on a load of Ikea bags. Therefore I'm going to fill them up with soil and plant an array of normal Summer crops. Then when the Autumn cold comes in, with the help of a few friends they'll be dragged into the the Polytunnel. Heres hoping that my summer cropping is prolonged...Wahey!

Comment

A really simple one from headfry

Clean and sort out all your canes!
            Bundle them according to size!

how many times do you grab a cane only to find it's to long/short?
            Last edited by Headfry; 04-08-2008, 02:36 PM.

Comment

Don't get cought out,it would be a wise to have a think about how many canes and what sizes you may need next year,especially the 8 ft for runner beans,as many people go looking for them only to find they are out of stock,even have a word with stockist to see roughly when they will be comming in.
              sigpicAnother nutter ,wife,mother, nan and nanan,love my growing places,seed collection and sharing,also one of these

Comment

If I had a big plot I'd like to try sowing green manure over winter such as winter tares, it stops the bare soil being taken over by weeds & then you dig it in & all the goodness goes back into the earth.
                Into every life a little rain must fall.

Comment

With everything that I was going to say having been superbly covered by my online friends already?! My contributions are as follows:

Take one beautiful day, when you're NOT required to do anything else for other people, (or even if you are!) and spend some completely quality time on your own, with your favourite music, cleaning out this years' NESTING BOXES, BIRD-FEEDERS, BIRD-BATHS and BIRD TABLES. Your Garden Birds deserve your undivided attention for their health and wellbeing, as well as daily food and water for the sheer pleasure they give you all through the year - let alone the good they do for you on your plot or in your garden.... And they are going to be more needy of you in the coming months. Make sure you give them fresh food and water daily. Source out some good homemade recipes for 'FatBalls' to hang up, and the like. So too, be kind to your resident Hedgehog(s), if you have any. (We've just seen our hedgehog for the first time in 8 years, and he/she is absolutely ENORMOUS! living round the back of our Potting Shed), but no milk and cookies - hedgehogs like dog/catfood & water.

And when was the last time you treated any of your prized garden tools to a bit of TLC, eh? eh?! A bit of 'spit and polish' for your tired old Gardening Boots?, a squirt of WD40 for your Felco No. 4's?, a quick rub-down with a damp edition of The Radio Times for your favourite and trusty ol' Spade?

And whilst you're doing all of that, you have the time to reflect on the moments that brought you so much joy this year.....
                  The nesting birds. The fledglings. The time you trapped your finger in the Felco's and it made you scream. The millions of times you 'halved a worm and made two'. How you felt sick at the smell of your home-made Comfrey Tea...!
                  X

Reflect on just how very much you have achieved this year.
                  Look in your mirror, and say to yourself: "You did brilliant. Now what great things are we going to do NEXT year!"
                  Last edited by wellie; 05-08-2008, 10:04 PM.

Comment

As per a previous post
                    Get ready for next years tomatoes
                    I create a simple pallet. A few scraps of old pallet wood. Two as long as a grow bag and four as wide plus a few inches. Nail them together to form a small pallet. Put the grow bag on and the four strips should stick out the side of the bag. Drill holes in the ends. I grow toms on one in the greenhouse, with a helper I can then carry them out on the pallet when weather OK. Put canes in drilled holes and form a wigwam.
                    Expect the worst in life and you will probably have under estimated!

Comment

I'll be digging my runner bean trench as soon as possible. We have heavy clay and digging a trench in soil that's sodden with freezing water in the winter is almost impossible and certainly not a pleasant way to spend a winter's afternoon.
                      Into each life some rain must fall........but this is getting ridiculous.

Comment

Order garlic to plant asap, or you may be disappointed, many stockists had run out by the time I remembered last year.

Comment

Getting Ready For Winter

My tip is=
                          1) Keep any bare ground clear ( pain if we have a mild winter, the weeds grow!!).
                          2) Sit down on a rainy day and look at all the catalogues, ( with a cup of tea)
                          3) Make a list of all the veg which did well, change the ones that didnt.
                          4) I will be planning to plant some new fruit trees, and bushes.
                          5) Make another raised bed, had some great stright carrots!!!
                          And when you have some vegetable soup with a roll, say to yourself I grew this, and enjoy

Comment

I plan to let the chickens loose on the plot as I clear the remains of the tomatoes, beans etc so they can dispose of lurking slugs and snails for me!

Comment

Make the most of the short days!

1) Dig over the old veg patch and let your chicks if you've got them have a peck about. Chuck on some horse manure (well roted) and the compost you've been making over te summer - cover with a tarpolian, peg it down and leave nature to do its work!

2) Don't forget to put in your spring bulbs, those hopeful little daffodil faces will get you going in the new year!!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X