No announcement yet.

Autumn Sowing

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For autumn/winter crops I have kale, broccolli, spring onions, carrots, leeks, perpetual spinach, salad leaves, lamb's lettuce, white radish
    I have already sewn spring cabbage, red onion sets & white onion seeds to overwinter. I will also be sowing some broad beans (aquadulce claudia) and peas (pilot) in November. Might try shallots & garlic.

Comment

Originally posted by TrulyGreen View Post
      For autumn/winter crops I have kale, broccolli, spring onions, carrots, leeks, perpetual spinach, salad leaves, lamb's lettuce, white radish
      I have already sewn spring cabbage, red onion sets & white onion seeds to overwinter. I will also be sowing some broad beans (aquadulce claudia) and peas (pilot) in November. Might try shallots & garlic.

Hello Trulygreen,

What kale/broccolli are you sowing and when?

Cheers
      Danny
      Cheers

Danny

Comment

Hi i am a newbie so ignor my ignorance,
        I have brought some cauli seeds to grow over the winter, how is the best way to do this. Ive also got some broad beans to put in. Im a bit confused cos some say put them straight in the soil and use cloches others say start in pots. I think I may have to try a bit of each and see what works ! I suppose it depends on where you live and the conditions there.

Comment

I am a bit of a novice when it comes to growing veg as I have never really attempted it before and spend a lot of time out of the country as I am cabin crew. But here goes - I have bought from the Internet willow hedging so I can make a raised bed. I am also having delivered some organic fertiliser and a winter vegetable garden. This consists of Kale, Brassica's, Beetroot, Cabbage, Turnips, Chard, Winter lettuce and Rhubarb. I am at a loss as to what I plant where in my raised bed.....any helpful tips would be greatly appreciated. I will probably put the Rhubarb in a deep pot...any suggestions??

Kind regards,

VeggieFlyer

Comment

Originally posted by tixy View Post
            Hi i am a newbie so ignor my ignorance,
            I have brought some cauli seeds to grow over the winter, how is the best way to do this. Ive also got some broad beans to put in. Im a bit confused cos some say put them straight in the soil and use cloches others say start in pots. I think I may have to try a bit of each and see what works ! I suppose it depends on where you live and the conditions there.
            What variety of cauli have you got? When does the packet say to sow them? (I'm not expert and have never actually grown cauli but it does seem a bit late to sow them now?)

As for broad beans, my plan is to sow them in pots at home and transplant them to the veg plot when they're big enough to stand a figthing change against slugs. I'm not sure exactly when is the best time to sow them, so i was thinking f sowing some in early October and some in late October.

I'm sure a more experienced grape will be along soon with some better advice than mine though!

PS welcome to the vine!
            Last edited by Demeter; 19-09-2008, 11:33 AM.
            Warning: I have a dangerous tendency to act like I know what I'm talking about.

Comment

Originally posted by veggieflyer View Post
              I am a bit of a novice when it comes to growing veg as I have never really attempted it before and spend a lot of time out of the country as I am cabin crew. But here goes - I have bought from the Internet willow hedging so I can make a raised bed. I am also having delivered some organic fertiliser and a winter vegetable garden. This consists of Kale, Brassica's, Beetroot, Cabbage, Turnips, Chard, Winter lettuce and Rhubarb. I am at a loss as to what I plant where in my raised bed.....any helpful tips would be greatly appreciated. I will probably put the Rhubarb in a deep pot...any suggestions??

Kind regards,

VeggieFlyer
              Hi there, welcome to the vine.

How big is your raised bed going to be? If large enough then it is worth considering crop rotation (that just means not planting the same types of crop in the same spot of ground over and over again, the idea is to slow down the buildup of pests and diseases and also it means the soil will not get exhausted so quickly). If you are just having one small raised bed though I would not worry too much about this!

If you've only got a small area then the thing to remember is that Rhubarb is a permanent crop which you will leave in place indefinitely while all the other plants you mention are annual crops that will not be in the soil more than 1 year. In fact the plants you list will probably all be finished in time to plant a summer crop next year. So that means once you have decided where you want to put the rhubarb you can stick everything else wherever you like. Not sure whether rhubarb would be OK long term in a pot - alright as a temporary measure until you have space somewhere but better to get it in the ground if you can.

If you will have a bigger area and want to try crop rotation, then the trick for the first year is just to make sure you keep the same families together. "Brassicas" isn't a vegetable it is a type of vegetable and the brassica family includes cabbage, kale and (I think) turnips. These can all be grown together. Beetroot and chard are in the same vegetable family so should go together. Lettuce can go anywhere.

Hope that helps!

Comment

This may sound like a silly question but..overwintering onions and garlic. When are they ready to eat? Will they still need space on my veggie plot when I will be planting out other plants e.g. tomatoes?

Comment

Depending on the variety I think you could be harvesting any time between say late May and about July. So you can certainly follow some crops on after any type overwintering onions / garlic, but the ones that don't come out until later will obviously restrict you a little bit in terms of what can go in next.

Comment

I've just been given a couple of troughs that are about 20in x 56in and 20in deep. One has been sown with Nantes Frubund carrots and will also have some garlic interspersed when it turns up to help keep the carrot fly off. The other trough I want to use for potatoes next year. Is there anything I can plant now that will be ready in time to crop before I need to start the potatoes off mid-March?

All suggestions gratefully received
                    Last edited by HotStuff; 21-09-2008, 08:46 PM.
                    There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't.

Comment

hi got the caul seeds from wilko 49p for 400 seeds ! called all year round cauli sow sept oct or jan - june. Ta

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X