No announcement yet.

Autumn Sowing

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think I might try sowing somw 'all year round' lettuce & salad leaves in the autumn & cover them with a poly cloche if it looks as though it's going to be very frosty although with the mild winters we've been having they may survive without.
    Into every life a little rain must fall.

Comment

No one seems to have mentioned Shallots, plant on the shortest day and harvest on the longest. They, like Garlic, need the cold to split into bulbs.
      Gardening requires a lot of water - most of it in the form of perspiration. Lou Erickson, critic and poet

Comment

Cerainly lots of great ideas here!! First winter gardening so think I'll go steady and do some garlic, spinach and chard.
        Best love

Steelsy
        xxx

www.myspace.com/steelsy

Comment

Originally posted by Banana View Post
          Silly question, but where do you get a hold of Onion and Garlic sets during the autmun? Do they suddenly reappear in the Garden Centres or does every save them from the spring?
          Yes - the gardening catalogues are starting to promote them again now for september delivery. Try Dobies or Marshalls.
          ---
          Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Comment

Never done overwintering veg before- gonna try spinach, Mizuna, lettute, garlic & shallots me thinks. Any advice on shallots?? Seeds or sets the best??
            I have no idea what im doin!

Comment

First year doing winter sowing, so I'm going to try Kale (Frosty), Lettuce (All the year round), Corn Salad (Cavallo), Radicchio (Treviso Precoce Mesola) and Peas (Meteor).

Still considering the onions and garlic.
              http://herbie-veggiepatch.blogspot.com

Updated 23rd February 2009

Comment

I want to sow stuff but the rain was so torrential today that any seeds would have drowned!!!
                Happy Gardening,
                Shirley

Comment

Originally posted by shirlthegirl43 View Post
                  I want to sow stuff but the rain was so torrential today that any seeds would have drowned!!!
                  This is a case of the north/south divide Shirl - it was okay up here in the north, but by 'eck it were windy! I'm sure watching OH and I (re)stake up our peas would have been a really hilarious sight. Grrrr, I'm getting FED UP (sorry to shout, but I'm starting to feel like that!) with this horrible weather.
                  Life is brief and very fragile, do that which makes you happy.

Comment

i am growing parsnips. this is my first year of growing anything so i dont know if i've started late or early!
                    my parsnips seeds started well then werent looking too happy on my windowsil so i have moved them outside. but being worried about anything potential eating them, i have made an obstable course of wooden bamboo skewers sticking up. i dare anything to come near them!! i just have to watch my eyes!

Comment

i found kale (black tuscany) seeds so gonna give them a go
                      everywhere seems to have sold out of spring cabbage, meteor peas etc - but i have got aquadulce broad beans
                      guess i'd better get in quick when the onion sets come into the garden centres ....
                      http://MeAndMyVeggies.blogspot.com

Comment

For brilliant Garlic the ISle of Wight Gralic Farm is the best place. Look them up on Google - they dleiver quite quickly...

Comment

i'm planting turnips, a big winter radish"weiner runder kohlschwarzer" :the size of a tennis ball apparently good to cook with in soups, mustard greens "osaka purple", broad beans, chard , perpetual spinach, corn salad"vit"and spring cabbage "pixie" .i transplanted my leeks last week into their winter home on the plot, i've also got purple sprouting early and brussels sprouts ready to over winter. it's my first year growing veg and my first attempt at over wintering anything so i'll see how it goes.
                          i thought as the plots empty good to bung in whatever i can to use the space...not sure about the effect of these inbetweeny crops on crop rotation though..as the majority of those i'm planting are brassicas anyhow give it a go..

Comment

Please help, I'm going to do onions and garlic. Do I plant these where the old onions were or the new bed? We are trying crop rotation.

Comment

Originally posted by Goodlife View Post
                              Please help, I'm going to do onions and garlic. Do I plant these where the old onions were or the new bed? We are trying crop rotation.
                              Plant in a new bed, otherwise you won't be rotating crops .
                              Last edited by Capsid; 16-09-2008, 03:56 PM.
                              Mark

Vegetable Kingdom blog

Comment

Ive just put up a greenhouse this year, can I grow any veg in there over the winter does anyone know? I planted some peas and some lettuce in a border I made, but do you think it would be better to leave certain things in the beds outside the greenhouse to overwinter instead?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X