No announcement yet.

Re potato yields v flavour

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Last year we grew Pentland Javelin as our First Earlies, great taste and good yields, but this year we decided to try a few other types, Orla and Lady Christl, Ulster Sceptre and Arran Pilot. 2 full beds worth of seed spuds, but as yet (we've only harvested a few plants yet as they dont seem to have fully swelled of flowered yet) yields have been disappointing and taste hasn't measured up to the Pentland Javelins that we grew last year!

Next year we will be growing Pentland Javelins for definite!
    Blessings
    Suzanne (aka Mrs Dobby)

'Garden naked - get some colour in your cheeks'!

The Dobby's Pumpkin Patch - an Allotment & Beekeeping blogspot!
    Last updated 16th April - Video intro to our very messy allotment!
    Dobby's Dog's - a Doggy Blog of pics n posts - RIP Bella gone but never forgotten xx
    On Dark Ravens Wing - a pagan blog of musings and experiences

Comment

So far, tried some of the Orla and Colleen. Colleen gets my vote, Orla a bit bland. Will try the Pentland Javelins next year after all those positive comments.
      Growing in the Garden of England

Comment

I find Orla bland too. I've got about half a dozen types, but only 10 of each. It seemed the best way to try different varieties even though it works out a bit dearer than a big bag of one sort. Next year, Old Favourite Arran Pilot with a bigger batch of Anya and Lady Crystl I think.
        Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

arran pilot yield

I`ve been getting about 1/1/2 lb to 2lb off one arran pilot plant ,is this average?

Tom

Comment

Desiree potatoes are my favourites so far - Fried they are just....... something else.

Comment

Arran Pilot for me also. I have got International kidney, Vales emerald, Yukon Gold and Ulster Sceptre to try yet, and looking forward to it too. I was a bit late with the planting, due to work loads. But they all come good in the end.
              "He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs Dobby View Post
                Last year we grew Pentland Javelin as our First Earlies, great taste and good yields, but this year we decided to try a few other types, Orla and Lady Christl, Ulster Sceptre and Arran Pilot. 2 full beds worth of seed spuds, but as yet (we've only harvested a few plants yet as they dont seem to have fully swelled of flowered yet) yields have been disappointing and taste hasn't measured up to the Pentland Javelins that we grew last year!

Next year we will be growing Pentland Javelins for definite!
                Could be cos you live in Manchester.LOL,
                The greatness comes not when things go always good for you,but the greatness comes when you are really tested,when you take,some knocks,some disappointments;because only if youv'e been in the deepest valley can you ever know how magnificent it is to be on the highest mountain.

Comment

This year I have three varieties - Charlotte (cause everyone knows it and likes it), Lady Christl (cause IMO it tastes better than Charlotte and I'm on a one man mission to convert Ross-shire and East Sutherland to my way of thinking) and Red Duke of York 9cause they like floury tatties up here. Last year I had Edzell Blue which sold out as quick as I could lift em but my seed supplier failed me this year so I have RDOY instead. I also had Maris Peer last year and I couldn't give them away - apart from to one of my mates who fed them to his ducks !
                  Last edited by sewer rat; 05-07-2008, 08:54 PM.
                  Rat

British by birth
                  Scottish by the Grace of God

http://scotsburngarden.blogspot.com/
                  http://davethegardener.blogspot.com/

Comment

I like charlotte and have been averaging 5lb per plant. They seem to be a bigger size this year as well. I have valor and cara but as yet have not dug any. I also have pink fir which I find a superb taste but not so good on quantity. Have main crop of all three sarpo varieties but not expecting the flavour of them to be in the same class as the first earlies.

Ian

Comment

Hi there

This is our first year and our earlies are winston and estima. I really would not recommend the winston's - I have found them quite tasteless and watery (although we may have watered them too much).

Comment

hi,I don`t think watering will make the pots watery ,they take in what they need.

Comment

i watered my javelin loads and they taste beautiful and buttery....

Comment

I think next year it will have to be.Pentland javelin.anya, lady christl and arran pilot

Comment

this year i grew Javelyn , Rocket , Lady Chrisi , and Vannessa 6 of each i have also lifted some Nicola but the best tasting of the lot was a root of King Edwards that i lifted last sunday but each to his own taste no 2 people are the same. jacob marley
                              What lies behind us,And what lies before us,Are tiny matters compared to what lies Within us ...
                              Ralph Waide Emmerson

Comment

i've grown foremost for the second year, good taste and pretty good yield (even though i'm impatient and lift them early!) I also grow charlotte - they have been fantastic this year and desiree. Nothing quite like freshly dug spuds with a sprig of mint and fresh picked peas - notsure i need any meat to go with them!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X